50/50 1:48 B-17

LSP_K2

Nice array of aftermarket stuff !

Thanks, Jerry. I'll be adding some more, but probably not a lot.

Kev

What a great idea. I'll be glued to the monitor following every inch of the way

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks, Peter, I appreciate the confidence.

Keeping the idea in mind that I like to have some items pre-prepared for cleaning up outdoors when the weather is nice, here I've gone ahead and glued up the horizontal stabs/elevators. These won't be altered in any way other than scribing, so no harm in doing it now. (I still think the Monogram figures, here included strictly for scale reference, are some of the best figures that were ever included in kit form.)

61%20skanky%20001_zpscnwxeoyc.jpg

Well damn man, im about to do a super fetailed 17 as well lol, stole my thunder. I see you have crew member, where on earth did you pick those up? I have all the true detail sets along with the verlinden upgrade set. Is it worth picking up all the eduard p.e? If so which ones? Im going to get the brassin engines, just not terribly sure if i will need a full set of exterior and interior p.e as i shall be building the beast gear up. So yeah, if you could provide a link or any guidance on after market it would be a life saver, shall be following this one. As soon as ive got all my extras ready i will crack on with my build.

This is an idea that I've been kicking around for ages, a 1:48 B-17 50/50 cutaway. The idea here is to paint one half (along the fuselage vertical centerline) OD over grey, with markings of one squadron, with the other half in a natural metal scheme from another squadron, and cutaways on both sides showing internal areas.

Interesting concept, Kevin, lots of upside.

Cheers,

D.B.

Well damn man, im about to do a super fetailed 17 as well lol, stole my thunder. I see you have crew member, where on earth did you pick those up? I have all the true detail sets along with the verlinden upgrade set. Is it worth picking up all the eduard p.e? If so which ones? Im going to get the brassin engines, just not terribly sure if i will need a full set of exterior and interior p.e as i shall be building the beast gear up. So yeah, if you could provide a link or any guidance on after market it would be a life saver, shall be following this one. As soon as ive got all my extras ready i will crack on with my build.

I've got the BigEd set, which incorporates many of the other sets, perhaps all. I'll try to take some photos today to show what's what. As to the figures, if you're referring to the boxed sets, they were included in the package I just received from Ray. It seems doubtful I'll be using them on this particular project, as that would bump this into the diorama category, but I can certainly use them for other projects, as I do dabble in 1:48, and will be doing lots more as time goes on.

Interestingly, between Quickboost and Eduard/Brassin, there are about five engine options, ranging from fairly inexpensive (Quickboost) to the high end Brassin set. I'll probably opt for the Quickboost set, since mine will be displayed "cowls on".

And thanks for all the comments, guys, I'm pleased that you like the idea. I'm already running into some planning problems. The entire bomb bay, which will be exposed from one side, is completely wrong on the kit, and what is there, is far from being detailed correctly. Paragon did a nice bomb bay set, as well as some other very cool B-17 stuff, but finding them (at a decent price) might prove very difficult, if not impossible.