Revell F-14

LSP_Mike

Don't think it's been mentioned here yet (may have missed it) but I seem to recall the fins being short on the Revell kit - certainly decal sheets I have provide alternate tail markings for the Revell and Tamiya kits...

Iain

Luca, I've turned the photo into an edge map for more clarity. The bold oblique black line marks the angled radome top break line continued on out.

F-14%20nose%20profile%20F-14B%20edge_zps

thanks guys! now I understand well... so you mean that kink continue on all the upper angled panel line? or it's only on a single point (an upper map would wait to understand well)

which is the kinked surface/line so? blue or green? and how long is it? :hmmm:(in plain words: where do we have to sand/grind?)

i1125108_kink.jpg

Edited by Luca

The kink - which as Starfighter says is very mild on the F-14 - looks to me to occur at the blue line, where the radome joins.

Please note well that the B-1B photo below exaggerates it times a hundred, if not a thousandfold.

But it shows clearly what it looks to me is going on, which is that the radome and nose structure are separate..

1756.jpg

Don't think it's been mentioned here yet (may have missed it) but I seem to recall the fins being short on the Revell kit - certainly decal sheets I have provide alternate tail markings for the Revell and Tamiya kits...

Iain

That's an interesting addition Ian, and one I wasn't aware of before. Also quite difficult to pin down using photos, with the canted angle and average POV of the usual walkarounds.

Perhaps next up once the nose issue has been thrashed into oblivion, we could post our kits' fin photos, laid flat with dimensions.

One thing I've been struck by, having collected some Tamiya parts and Aires parts designed for the Trumpeter kits, is how most of the dimensions do actually agree closely, if not exactly, with each other

Luca would you have a link to the drawing you show part of in your post #64 above? Your drawing looks to have accurate windscreen geometry, which is a promising sign as not all plans do.

Id like to try matching a side view to that nose edge map and see how it shapes up.

Luca would you have a link to the drawing you show part of in your post #64 above? Your drawing looks to have accurate windscreen geometry, which is a promising sign as not all plans do.

yes of course! here it is:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/77/35/79/7735793fa2a718227095a9f1bf16c946.jpg

Edited by Luca

Thanks Luca!

F-14%20nose%20drawing%20overlay_zps5jkaf

OK I'm now satisfied the Tamiya nose is too skinny, as shown by Luca on his kit parts overlaid on the drawing back on page 2, post #28.

All I've done is overlay the radome outline from the edge map of the air-to-air photo onto the plan drawing above and the photo below.

Given there are some hefty outlines on one, and a slight parallax effect on the other, I'm fairly convinced, but then I could just be an easily swayed idiot....

F-14%20Tamiya%20nose%20comparison%20with.

Edit: ....and once again for luck, this time scaled to the Tamiya fuselage itself. I'd have thought more on it if the overlaid pitot had been closer to the flat at the radome tip, but it's fairly clear it isn't.

F-14%20Tamiya%20nose%20comparison%20with

Edited by Chek

Guest Airfixer

This thread is bad. Very bad.

Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, the F-14 is a great airplane. Really great airplane.

No 32nd scale Tomcats in AIRFIXER's stash. Which is a very bad thing. We will change this!

Very informative and constructive thread...I should spend less time reading it...dangerously mouth-watering. :hmmm: :whistle:

This thread is awesome!  Thanks to those who have contributed so far.  I've heard for a long time that "the Revell nose is all wrong" but it's nice to see some real analysis here, yellow lines and everything.  Interesting note about the "kink" too.

Keep up the good work.

Guys, you aren't really relying on that russian drawing which looks like it was based on Revell's instructions, are you? The upper curvature of the nose is just plain wrong at the first glimpse. The drawing even shows the wrong curvature of the windscreen lower edge and the incorrect lower canopy frame!

Guest Airfixer

Just wondering...

Aren't there any Grumman loft/mould line sheets around? Airplanes like F-4, F-15, F-16 et al are pretty well documented in this regard.

Ben, while we're at it...

Which set of F-14 line drawings would you personally rate "least inaccurate"?

Thx

Erik