Oxygen bottle colour for Tamiya's Corsair.....

Wolf Buddee

The F4U-1 pilot's operating handbook indicates on page 59 that the pressure gauge on the oxygen cylinder should read 1800 +/- 50 psi.  Definitely a high pressure cylinder which would indicate, if Vought followed aeronautical convention (which sometimes manufacturer's did not), the oxygen cylinder should be green in color.  However, according to page 108 in the F4U-1 preliminary E&R manual, the cylinder was manufactured by the Mine Safety Appliance Company, not an aeronautical company.  Another F4U-1 E&R manual says it's equipped with a Walter Kidde #24323 oxygen system but the pressures remain the same.  Therefore, the question remains, what color would the cylinder be?  The Parts book corroborates the use of the Walter Kidde #24323 oxygen bottle.  Ron is correct that the bottle needed to be removed from the aircraft to be serviced.

The Vought engineering drawings VS-10550 and 33550 indicate to mark the oxygen tubing (copper tubing) with an "oxygen identification" light green band.  I know that says nothing about the bottle but the more I dig into it, the more I think the bottle was steel in color.  I have no proof yet.

Edited by Juggernut

Not sure what military inventory you're managing, but the US standard for oxygen is now, and AFAIK has always been green.  Color coding of gas cylinders is for a very good reason.

I managed Army OH-58D Kiowa inventory. Yes I know, they don't use oxygen.

I was using all the colors as examples, but I know I have seen silver, green, black, and yellow bottles before.

Bottle

post-2569-1250809568.jpg

Tank

6659.jpg

Those vessels look at though they're constructed to maintain gases at totally different pressures. I think the green one is a liquefied gas and the yellow one is for storage or oxygen that has evapourated out of its liquid form.

The neck of the bottles and tap system is far more robust on the green bottle. Clearly designed for much higher pressures. IIRC Oxygen is stored under extremely high pressures and if a cylinder ruptures it becomes a instant torpedo. Cylinder construction isn't complicated but I know our welding standards and safety requirements mean they are tested routinely. From various steps in their construction all the way through their service life.

The yellow ones look like sheet metal construction reinforced by ferrules of steel that are welded on. It doesn't even have a threaded outlet for a regulator. cheap and quick to make.

I suspect the answer to the question would depend on whether the oxygen system is liquefied gas that is regulated and then supplied to the pilot, or the crew are breathing off masks connected to storage tanks of 'already pressure regulated' gas.

Matty

I've come across this cylinder issue with a Tamiya Spitfire. The tank behind the seat. I'd never actually realised there was a difference in tanks until people started talking about it. not knowing all these years but discovering something new is a very cool feeling.

Cheers Matty

Well, this has opened a real can of worms (cans are finished in NMF, if you are interested).

Wolf, based on what I have read here and no other knowledge whatsoever, I say green.

If you want to cover all the bases, you could paint it greenish yellow or yellowish green with NMF chipping.

You can guarantee that, as you complete your masterpiece, new evidence will show that the oxygen bottle was purple. This will not matter because you won't see it with the seat in position.

Not sure what military inventory you're managing, but the US standard for oxygen is now, and AFAIK has always been green.  Color coding of gas cylinders is for a very good reason.  

For whatever it's worth, I've been involved with jobs requiring breathing air for close to 30 years and the bottles (both large "k bottles" and the personal "Scott Packs") are always yellow.  Never seen a green bottle yet. 

Here in Vulgaria we have no problem with the color of oxygen tanks. They are always pink with purple polka dots. The size of the dots can vary from tank to tank. Alternatively, they can be purple with pink polka dots.

Yours truly,

Heinrich von Schtinkfinger.

Chief engineer, V.A.F.