aluminum interiors

Hacker

OK guys as you know the wheel wells and the gun bays on the Typhoon where aluminum which they are now painted. Now my question is how to highlight and weather these areas. l done it with painted wheel wells etc but this is my first with an aluminum finish. l know a black wash is in order but to highlight do l go with a dark colour say gunship grey or lighter?? Interested in what you have to say on this subject.

hacker :rolleyes: :P

Guest LSP_Jay L

I wouldn't go with black as a wash personally, but if that is your bag go for it. :rolleyes: Istay with Raw Umber or similar dark earthy tones, that will look more like grimy build up as opposed to a wash done on a model.

I would do the wash, and worry about the highlights later and do them with either some very subtle drybrushing or weathering pigments. Use sandy tones, or white where you want highlights.

Cheers mate,

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go with black as a wash personally, but if that is your bag go for it. :lol: Istay with Raw Umber or similar dark earthy tones, that will look more like grimy build up as opposed to a wash done on a model.

I would do the wash, and worry about the highlights later and do them with either some very subtle drybrushing or weathering pigments. Use sandy tones, or white where you want highlights.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Where can one find Raw Umber for such detailing?

My only comment would be to use Turpenoid (which is a synthetic Turmpentine) which has little or no odor and is less harmful than enamel thinners on your paints, yet still thins the oils for a wash. I have used Turpenoid several times on enamels or acrylics and have had no problems - though I always allow enough time for the paints to cure properly before any washes. No sense tempting fate!!!