Uprgading to Photobox Mk2

PietvWdV

Hi guys!

A while ago I build myself a photobox so that I could put an end to Jay's constant hatemail about my crappy lighting and backgrounds.

I built the box on-line here http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...wtopic=9311&hl=

I have gotten great service from it, although it has done absolutely NOTHING to stop that whining mounty from criticising every picture I make :(

But I have an unbuilt 1/24 P-40 on the bench, and my next commission is a Hase Stuka, which is a hefty size, so I wanted to get some more space in it. I also want to make a lid for it to fight dust, and I wanted to redo the curtains darling, to get more light through with a little impact on diffusion.

So here is the last shot of the box as it was :

post-906-1168381110.jpg

I firstly ripped everything inside out. Also I removed all the fittings, since I will replace them with different types that will give more space and versatility.

The lifted base also came out since I wsill replace it with a wider one. And while I am in there I will redo the wiring.

post-906-1168381326.jpg

Next I installed the new wiring and fittings.

The new wiring is simple flex, which is easier to work with, and will be easier to glue to the sides later to make it neater inside. The new fittings are movable garden type fittings. I chose them so I van bend back the lights to be flush with the sidewalls, and to be twistable to taste while there.

post-906-1168381557.jpg

Here is the first power on test, with the lights twisted back and positioned. BTW, the white colour of the sidewalls is intentional, since it is very reflective, and enhances the light and helps with diffusion.

The cabling is also tucked away here, using a glue gun, to keep them out of harm's way.

post-906-1168381764.jpg

Last shot for today

Of course every bulb can now be positioned, or twisted on or off. The florescent above switches on or off independently, for those times when you need a bit of a boost.

Tomorrow I will install a wider raised "stage", and deal with the lid (I have not decided on an approach yet, but it will be very simple). After that all that remains are the curtains and the backdrop.

post-906-1168382047.jpg

Piet For the lid why not build a couple bifolding doors for the front that way you can close them and when open they will take up very little room.

And your photos are still ten fold better than mine.

Cheers Murph...

Hiya Murph. I was also thinking along the lines of doors, but the hinging and the doors in the way and all kinds of crap were giving me a headache. But then last night : Inspiration! :)

It was during a midnight excursion to the pantry. When I closed the cupboard door and the magnetic strips made the "click" I knew I had it. ;)

So I got some of these little magnets today and installed two of them across the top and one on each side.

post-906-1168535938.jpg

Piet,

An excellent way to make the door, very innovative to say the least and I like the cool looking design on the front of it. Hey by the way where does one obtain such cheap african labor?

You know Jay will want one too that Jealous Soul, will want a beer served right to him. :)

Cheers Murph...

Jay would love to see your photo setup, and believe me one woman in a mans life is plenty. But then again who would feed and take care of us without them. :lol:

Maybe one of these days I'll get better photo equipment, but for now I like the designs of Piet.

If only we had your money Jay we could have fancy stuff too. :lol:

Cheers Murph...

Don't worry about Jay, Murph, he's just sore because he knocked up my girlfriend and now I am making him look after her for me. :D

Fitting the curtains today. They run in a wire on top and are weighed down and kept in shape by a wooden rod at the bottom.

post-906-1168881524.jpg

Then this is where I ran into some problems, but only temporary ones. I could not find a nice big sheet of blue or white cardboard for the backdrop. So I bought two pieces of carboard in a very funny green blue color. I will replace them tomorrow with blue when I get to a decent shop, but these will do for today's update. I had to stick them in together, and I did it badly, so the border can be seen. But, well, **** happens.

post-906-1168882101.jpg