1/32 recovered B-17 - UPDATE 12/10/13 - FINISHED - YAY!

richdlc

This is definitely an interesting project Rich. I love the restoration shots included in your posts. The one thing I know for sure, I'd hate to have been a ball turret gunner! Not that I would ever fit in one, LOL!

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Rich,

Great Job on the ball turret. This level of detail is great.

Can not wait to see the interior build, ie different floor levels, ribbing, cockpit, should be fun. LOL.

Got to love vac u form kits. They really test your skills.

Christian

*update 25th April 2012*

Hello everyone - I've managed to get some more work done on the ball turret. There are an overwhelming number of detailed shots of the interior freely available on the net, so let's take a look at some of those first - as always, these shots are reproduced for illustrative purposes only. I've picked a couple at random to show you what I need to build....or should I say, what my fanatical mind keeps making me build - no doubt most of this will be hidden, but it's a lot of fun making it...

OK here's some shots of the real deal:

a general shot (I believe of the turret from 'Aluminum Overcast')

211.png

the main feature is the K4 gunsight (the big black thing in center shot) - this was identical to the K3 sight used elsewhere on the a/c, except built upside-down for use in the ball turret. Here's another shot of it:

209.png

and here's a shot of the interior with the gunsight removed (looking upwards) - note the crossbrace/spar above the MGs, the wooden handles (I believe these are the firing handles & buttons for the guns), the junction box on the left and the intriguing round device with winding handle:

190.png

I made the crossbrace/spar first. I then started to make the other bits in little sub-sections - here's what I have so far:

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

I also added a coat of primer to the turret halves to make them easier to work with. There's a ton more little parts, wires etc to add so I'll update the thread as soon as I have done that

IMG_2033.jpg

comments & feedback welcomed as always

Rich

I've just had a thought !! If this is going to be a crashed B-17, will it have Crash Landed Gear down or Belly Landed ? If the latter then the ball turret would have been crushed ! As I said just a thought. Amazing work so far Rich.

Andy.

Rich, you're right I wonder if they had one of these in mind when they created them?

After all that work I reckon it'll be a gear down crash landing. Could have been forced down in a field it couldn't fly back out of...?

Matt