Belgian 'fabric wing' Hurricane Mk1...

Erwin

Hi all,

I decided to have a go at converting the metal wing into a fabric wing Belgian Hurricane Mk1.

I got some good drawings to use. Thanks to all that helped me in my other topics on the Hurricane.

Three major thing done on only just one upper wing.

The gunbay pannels are different,so that needs correcting.

The light is closer to the gunholes than a metal Mk1.The origional kit light will be filled later once the lower wing is added.

And all the pannellines are filled and rivits sanded away.

Haven't thought how I will add the fabric structure yet.But I will think of something :D

I know this build will take a bit longer than it mostly does. But concidering the 'special' meaning of this build I hope it turn out ok. Fingers crossed :D

post-4-1097336488.jpg

What are you going to use for the fabric? Doped tissue?

Hi Jim,

I was thinking the same way.

I will glue fine plastic where the rims are and cover it with tissue I got from a Guillows balsa kit.

I will practice first on some plasticsheet.

But I think it"s the only wat to get it realistic.

Hello all,

Another thing I had to convert is the prop.

I bought some stuff at a RC planes shop. And after some hours of work this is the result.

I had to do a lot of cuting and sanding to get the right shape.But it looks ok to me :lol:

post-4-1097613862.jpg

Erwin, are you becoming a super detailer? :lol:

Might I suggest future instead of dope perhaps? Also have you considered the shrink plastic used on RC planes? You could build the rib structure and some of that over the top and wacko theres a fab fabric wing!

Hi Erwin,

The project looks to be coming on well. Good job on the prop.

Be careful using "dope" around plastic as it may soften it. Apply some to a piece of sprue from the kit to make sure that it will not do any damage. Coolie's suggestion is a good one but I tried it a while back trying to simulate fabric over plastic fuselage for an Avro 504 I was trying to scratch build. You have to heat the film with an iron to make it shrink and the plastic fuselage frame collapsed from the heat and "pull" of the film, :lol: as a result the 504 never got finished.

The best way to similate the fabric wings on the kit would be to mask out the fabric areas between the ribs with tape. Copy the pattern from the plans people have supplied you. Then spray the wings with a primer, for example, I use Mr surfacer 500 that comes in the spray cans. You could also use the "scratchfill" auto primer. (Try it out on a piece of plastic card to get the right number of coats.) Then remove the masks and you will have the wing structure standing proud. Lightly sand this so that the edges are smothed out and you have a fabric wing.

Remember - the wing fabric did not sag as much as model manufacturers would have you believe. They were quite taut or the aircrafts performance would have been degraded badly. You can see more definition when the aircraft is in flight due to the airflow over the surfaces.

I am attaching a picture of an I16 that I saw on Hyperscale that should help explain what I mean:

The modeler is A Sekularac and he did a great job on the fabric tail surfaces on the model.

Regards

Tim Carroll

post-4-1097622966.jpg

Then remove the masks and you will have the wing structure standing proud.  Lightly sand this so that the edges are smothed out and you have a fabric wing.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tip.

But I don't get how the ribs can be filled in.

Plus. This is 24 th scale. So the ribs are somewhat bigger.

Hi Erwin,

Maybe I was not as clear as I thought. :lol: To simulate the fabric wing you need to represent the structure below the fabric. If you look at the taiplanes that come with the kit you should see a raised area that represents the ribs and then a dip where there is "fabric only".

If you have a good set of plans, and you must 'coz you've cut the different gun access panels out already, then you will see the rib layout on the main planes and it is these you need to simulate.

Enlarge the plans and transfer the rib locations to the wing in pencil or fine marker. Then measure from the plan the shape of the "fabric only" areas cut them out of masking tape and stick them on the wing. You would now have lots of pieces of tape on the wing like in the left part of the picture above.

The modeler then sprayed the tailwings and fin with a primer. When he removed the tape he had the raised paint areas giving and impression of the tailwing and fin structure.

To understand what I mean, get a scrap piece of card and put two pieces of masking tape about 3mm apart running in the same direction (a gap of 3mm between the two). Paint over the masks a few times and then remove them and you will have a raised area of paint. On your Hurricane wing this would be a rib position. You can add more paint to overcome the size of 24th scale but you dont want it to be too over the top.

Hope this helps make things a bit clearer.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Erwin

Well done on the Watts prop. Wings look cool so far. I would run with Tim's fabric idea, with your outstanding brush painting skill, by useing thicker paint be able to simulate the ribbs ok with the masking tech if you are unable to find spray primer. :D

Denie