Airfix 24 th Fw 190

Erwin

Hi all,

I got started on the old Airfix kit.Not much to show yet.Still cleaning up the parts.

But,I've got a question.

There's a part that I don't know the use of on the real plane (see pic).I've looked it up in my books but can't find anything on the use of it.

It only apears on the A types.

Is it a sort of lightset like on the US planes ? Does anyone know ?

post-4-1096042686.jpg

I think these were oxygen system access ports, for filling the oxygen bottles, but this is a guess.

The placement they are in is right under the 3 oxygen bottles and forward of the semi-circular access hatch for the main compass. But again, it's a wild ass guess on my part :rolleyes:

Erwin,

the biggest fit problem is the engine mount/ firewall join ( the other is the u/c povot thing which can give the big airfix bird an odd stance.)

make sure this is as tight as possible otherwise the cooling fan will stick out of the front, proud of the armoured oil ring...also careful shaving of the joints on all of the engine assembly ( engine mounts to firewall)should buy back a bit of space. its one area of the Airfix kit which really spoils the look of the finished 190.

HTH

Tony

Hi all,

It's time to give some comment on the build for those that haven't build this one yet.

How hase the build been so far Erwin ? I hear you say.

HELL !!! :angry: Nothing,but realy NOTHING fits !! :angry:

The wingroots,the cocpit into the fuselage,the gunbayhatches,the... the...the...the...it doesn't end !

I sometimes wonder if Airfix has personel that actually build their kits to give feedback .

But it's the only Fw 190 A in 24th :o And if you want a 190 A in your collection,the Airfix kit is the only option.

But,with Trumpeter bringing out the Dora ,one can only look at the Airfix kit as junk ;)

Still,I do hope to get this one finished in a somewhat decent way.

post-4-1096372912.jpg

Looking good so far.

I agree on the fit. I've built the Hurri and the 190 from Airfix in 24th, and the Hurri was much better, but even at that was hardly a "good fitting" kit by any stretch of the imagination.

There were a few moments during the build when I wanted to hurl that 190 into the fireplace!

Build on brave Erwin!

:o

Chris,

I build all the big Airfix kits. And altough I did build the 190 once a long time ago,I didn't remember it being such a bad kit.

Or perhaps my expectations have becomme higher ? :o

I still find the Stuka the best . That's realy a very good kit.

Perhaps a rating :

1: Stuka ;)

2:Hurricane

3:109

4:P-51

5:Spitfire Mk1

6:Spitfire Mk Vb(because of the poor conversion set)

7:190 :angry:

Tim,

I like that 'yellow' 190 a lot,and I've got the decals to do it. :lol:

Does anyone else have a pic of a strangly painted 190 A , Not to difficult. I can't do wonders with a brush :unsure:

Perhaps a Fw with Japaneese markings ?? :(

I've seen a pic once with American markings.??

BTW,if I should make the Yellow'190,should it have guns ? Being an advanced trainer ? My guess is 'yes' but any other thoughts ? :(

Hey Erwin,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been reading your thread on this Airfix 190 build and staying up-to-date on your progress... 'cause I "also"... have one waiting for build! :unsure:

Just like almost "EVERYONE" else here at LSP... I too... have read about the horrible "fit" of this kit! Truth is... it kinda... scares the "crap" out of me... taking into consideration, that I want to "REALLY" detail my 190! :(

That said, I have a question for you...

Some time ago a good friend (Kai Reckstadt) built this sames kit and did a WONDERFUL job with it! :( Anyway... Kai made the following statement in his "article" here at LSP. "One of the worst things is, that the engine -mounting is about 5 mm too long, which leads to a fan-wheel standing outside of the cowling-ring." :( Anyway... my question is... did you also run into this same engine mounting problem? :lol: If you did... what was your solution for fixing the problem?!

By the way... here's a link to rest of Kai's article on his 190: Kai Reckstadt

Thanks,

David