Anyone used Micro Mark 3D rivet decals yet?

wunwinglow

I've just ordered a couple of sets, wondered if anyone had used them on a Large Scale Plane yet? I've uses the Archer weld seams and casting markings on some tanks and they worked extremely well, but they are a bit pricey. The Micro Mark items look to be much better bang for buck. If they work....

http://www.micromark.com/ho-scale-decals-with-raised-3d-rivets-and-other-surface-details,9968.html

http://www.micromark.com/o-scale-decals-with-raised-3d-rivets-and-other-surface-details,9967.html

And could we persuade them to do some aviation-specific patterns?

Tim P

There are a couple of makers who do aircraft type rivet decals. Can't think of any by name ATM. But I'm sure others will know and post. These look a bit too aggressive.......Harv

I have the 1/87 and 1/48 sets. They are not flush but are button head type that were most commonly used on railway equipment.

Though I have not yet used them I intend to use the 1/87 for the inside surface of landing gear doors on my Phantom build.

Barry

Just received my pack of these decals from MicroMark, excellent service! The O gauge set is perhaps a little chunky for 32nd scale aircraft use, although the staggered double row rivits look like they will be very useful for forming the laced zig zag buttons seen on some fabric covered aircraft. Under a strip of aluminium foil they might just look the bees knees. I'll give it a try and let you know. The HO set however looks like it will be extremely useful. I can't measure exactly the dot diameter, it must be about 0.3 mm, and you get a sheet covered in about 240mm x 160 mm-worth of assorted rivits in various pitches, single rows and double rows, parallel and staggered. Each row is about 85mm long. There are also a variety of circular and arcs of rivits, as well as some louvres and very fine square pattern mesh. These are all printed in a distinctly 3D resin material onto clear varnished decal paper, so they are a doddle to cut out and apply, just like any other decal. I'll try these out tonight and waft some primer over them. Normal price is $14.95, but MicroMark have them on offer in their flyer cataloge at $11.75 a sheet.

Oh, and the best bit? When you open the packet, you discover that there are TWO sheets of decals!!!! This is splendid value for money.

Now, if we can get our heads together to come up with some specific aircraft designes for this process, I think we should let MicrMark know! Dzus fasteners, zips, rib stitching and tapes, makers name plates, hex grille for radiators, tyre makers logos, piano hinges, weld seams, kick-in steps, the list could go on and on!

Usual disclaimers, although I'll be ordering more right now. And they did send me a catalogue flyer. And I am a complete sucker when it comes to neat tools and stuff....

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...