Revell Spitfire MK IIa

Totalize

Happy New Year to all you guys.

So, there I was watching Spitfire Gun Camera video on youtube and I see the ground crew remove the G45 Camera after flight to check the film and I say to myself I don't think I have the camera port on my spitfire. Sure enough I check it and Revell mistakenly forgot to include this minor detail in their kit. The included the cover plate for the camera but not the camera port hole. Damn you Revell !!!

I was a bit apprehensive about drilling into a primed, painted, decaled and gloss coated model but I proceeded and managed to drill out the requisite port hole for the gun camera. Revell I am sure used a restored Spit for this part of the wing which had a covered up GC port and didn't bother to check the actual plans.

Also, I got the underside of the Spit marked off. I used the Maketar masks once again ( the ones that use Kabuki Tape or whatever they call it) for the roundels and the kit decals for everything else. Had to use heavy decal setting solution on them as they are thick as hell.  Used Alclad II Lacquer Gloss Varnish. What a champ this stuff is. Hopefully it won't turn the paint too dark after I weather it. I have never used this stuff previously.

H. Stabs are taped on. They are going to be glued in the down position once everything is all said and done.

IMG_0594x700_zpsjx0k5r8j.jpg

IMG_0592a700_zpsxssilvza.jpg

Edited by Totalize

I'm glad this one is back!  I was reading through it when I first got on the board and was sorry to see it lingering incomplete.  Great work on the Spit, my favorite plane of all.  Love your work on the camo especially. I like the idea of using different shades in the marble coat to show color variations.  I will definitely use that technique on my Mossie when paint time comes.  Did you freehand the camo or use tape masks?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad this one is back!  I was reading through it when I first got on the board and was sorry to see it lingering incomplete.  Great work on the Spit, my favorite plane of all.  Love your work on the camo especially. I like the idea of using different shades in the marble coat to show color variations.  I will definitely use that technique on my Mossie when paint time comes.  Did you freehand the camo or use tape masks?

Thank you for your kind comments and my apologies for the late reply. Indeed the spit is definitely one of the greatest of WWII fighters. So many changes in wings, armament, engines, external features etc. A very versatile design for sure. For the camo I used Tamiya 2mm white tape as my mask. It's narrow enough to bend while applying to get the design I wanted. This was the first time I used it. Worked pretty good.

Good luck on the mossie. That's another killer aircraft too.

Okay guys. My apologies for the tardy update. It's been hectic in my household as of late.  I started a new job and I am still dealing with the loss of our dog over the holidays. He was just 4 years old so I haven't been all that motivated to hit the bench. He really had a great impact on our lives something I didn't realize fully until he was gone. 

At any rate getting back to this build has been a bit of emotional therapy for me which is a good thing.

I completed the panel line details and put a flat coat on her.

For the panel lines I went with the Ammo/Mig panel line solution for RAF aircraft. Neutral brown for the uppers fuselage and Storm grey for the underside.

You may notice that I have the metal ailerons installed from the kit. I initially had the resin wooden type from Barracuda studios put on but I learned afterward that most MKII's by the the spring of 1941 had the metal ailerons installed.

I didn't do the gun coverings as yet as I am contemplating how I should do these. I know for sure I won't be using the red decals that came with the kit.

IMG_06301431_zpsxrc1ct6p.jpg

IMG_0622x800_zpsib5f8tte.jpg

IMG_0627x800_zpscolosvbs.jpg

IMG_0624x800_zps8w3aajky.jpg

IMG_0623x800_zpscx4umsl4.jpg

IMG_0611x800_zpsd63uu3mx.jpg

IMG_0610x800_zps1a7ilnli.jpg

Edited by Totalize

The gun camera port seems to be forgotten quite a bit, last year I built three Spitfires and for some reason when I finished building them two had it and one didn't, don't know what happened.

Cheers

Dennis

Your absolutely correct. Too much reliance on restorations versus actual plans and photos by the kit makers is my suspicion.