Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

Ever since Trumpeter came out with the 1/32 Flanker, I've hoped for a Su-33. Much like the self-maintaining lawn I've been dreaming of, I don't think it's going to happen. I've been contemplating trying this conversion for years. Some of the things involved I think are beyond me, but I think the chances of pulling it off are high enough to give it a shot.

I very rarely share my work; I build for me. I'm going to start a WIP for a couple of reasons, though. I have a tendency to start something and lose interest in it, so I'm hoping having a thread to keep updated may guilt me into keeping with the build. Plus, there are a few aspects of this project I haven't completely figured out yet. I've got some ideas, but when I get to that point I'll be looking for advice. There's nowhere I've seen with a greater knowledge base than here at LSP.

But be warned…absolute accuracy is rarely my goal. My modeling time is limited; my job, three daughters, and wife take priority. So maybe I won't spend a whole lot of time on that wheel well if I know the model will sit on a bottom shelf when done. I don't let people look up my intakes anymore, so I may not address the seam in there. This project will have a lot of scribing and rescribing, and some of it will be fantasy. I'll address most of the differences between the vanilla Flanker and the Su-33, but not all.

Then, too, modeling is not in the same category as most of the other things in life. I can't half-a my job, my family, or friends. (I may throttle back a bit on yardwork though.) My hobby, however, is a different story. Modeling is an outlet where I can do things however I want. If I feel like cutting that corner, I will. I think even an expert modeler would look at one of my models and say “That's supposed to be an XYZâ€. I'm fine with that.

So let's get on with it. As things progress, I'll be getting help from Zactomodels, Avionix, Aires, and a couple of others.
I debated on how to address the addition of the IFR probe and offset IRST on the nose. I decided to cast a copy of the 32nd Su-30 nose and graft it onto the 33. I know the shape of the IFR probe door/opening is not completely accurate but I know it'll look much better than anything else I try. It turns out the upper fuselage of the Su-30 kit is a bit deeper than that of the 27 kit. I had to trim 3-4mm from the bottom of my cast nose piece. Other than that, it seems to fit quite well.

20150504_182454_resized_zpsjydw2co8.jpg

I had to slice the mold in order to remove the master. You can see the effect that had on the resulting cast, but it only took a couple minutes with a sanding stick to clean it up.

20150514_115329_resized_zps0c3ezvoo.jpg

Not too bad...think it'll look OK with the Zacto radome.

20150514_114712_resized_zpsf736dwhn.jpg

Epoxy setting...

For some reason, the uncropped versions of the pics are showing up in the post, though they are not the ones saved in Photobucket. It's late...I'll figure it out later!

Thanks for looking,

jp

Edited by johncrow

Thanks Rogiér, I've had that bookmarked for some time, and it has provided much inspiration. Many of his ideas I will be using on my build.

I've been working on the Avionix Su-27 cockpit, and will have a couple pictures soon. I know that the Su-33 cockpit is not exactly the same as  the Su-27, but it is very close, and I'll be using the set as-is.

jp

39e275f4-391f-4463-abf8-d4c7e02c0c2a_zps

I've more or less completed the IP...anything else I do will have a pretty good chance of making it look worse. So aside from redoing the display screen in the upper right (dang dust....) I'm calling it done.

I've got the tub and sidewalls mostly done, and will be shoehorning it into the fuselage upper half shortly. A pic or two to follow.

jp

Very interesting build, and great start !

I'd really like to build a Su-30MKA (Algerian version of the Su-30MKI), but i think all the scratchbuild is beyond my skills. So i'll take a good look at your build. Especially for the canards !

Did I mention I'm slow? But I do have a bit of progress to show.

20150626_155205_resized_zpsyynpkdil.jpg

I had a few minutes the other night and I thought enclosing the empty refueling probe housing would be an easy and quick thing to do. I glued an inch or so of half a Maverick missile from the Trump A-10 kit to the inside of the fuselage. Looks much better than an empty hole, if not completely accurate. But in my haste to maximize the 10 minutes I had, I never thought to paint the thing. On the other hand, half of it will be covered, and the other half will have the probe so I'll be OK I think if I just shoot some paint in there later.

20150626_155302_resized_zpsmp5xqplf.jpg

Not a great shot at all...but I'm no photog and don't have time for the hobbies I DO like. Must be the cellphone camera anyhow.... I originally intended to build this canopy closed, but that would hide the amazing Zactodetail of the canopy framing. So I'm going canopy up...which means I have to pay more attention to the cockpit. I spent a few precious minutes making a 32nd scale map of South Chlamydia to put in the map holder...and realized when I took the pic it is long gone. Details and I don't always get along. The area behind the seat is in progress; now that I'm going canopy up I feel I should work on the seam there a bit. That's inwork.

Thanks for looking,

jp

Cool project. I wish there was a conversion or a kit of it. I have asked Chris aka; Zactomodels about it and from what I have gathered he said he could do it, just not sure if he will as the biggest problem...will he sell enough to make his worth while.