96 replies to this topic

#91 RLWP

RLWP

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:57 PM

Do you ever feel like it might have been easier to start with a piece of balsa wood?

Richard

• Peterpools, Alain Gadbois and TorbenD like this

#92 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

Torben

Awesome work and redo on the float ... never a dull moment for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• TorbenD likes this

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#93 TorbenD

TorbenD

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

My references say the float was designed with a one foot extension behind the step, but I trust your research has yielded more accurate data. BTW, this lengthened float only applied to N219, the other two reverted to equal length floats, which is why some drawings may create some confusion ...

Finally, on the float subject, the starboard float was 6 inches further outboard from the centerline compared to the port one ... Mitchell’s last trick to offset the torque of the Napier Lion engine, with the lengthened float containing the fuel tanks.

Hubert

Good call Hubert - yup the other 2 were had even lengths. I too had that same 1 foot after the rear step reference but I think this one is as definitive for the period I’m looking at.

Aerotech seem to have accurately represented the offsetting of 6 inches away from the centre line, certainly the starboard leg is longer than the port - my next big task is to look at thinning the legs. Eek!  :frantic:

Torben

#94 TorbenD

TorbenD

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:25 PM

Do you ever feel like it might have been easier to start with a piece of balsa wood?

Richard

:rofl: Yes but no but yes!! But no...

Torben

Awesome work and redo on the float ... never a dull moment for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Oh there’s plenty of them my end Peter believe me.. fill, sand repeat, fill, sand repeat...  :rolleyes:

Torben

• RLWP likes this

#95 TorbenD

TorbenD

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

A small update...

I was to portray this plane with the windshield hood hinged open forward - don’t ask me why, I must be some sort of masochist :mental: This means there is no escape adding a liitle depth and detail around teh hing area. The front cockpit bulkhead on the kit is flat and featureless. 

G_DSC02434-X2.jpg

I say flat but it ain’t totally flat, i also need to push it back a bit so I could add frame/coving,  so first out came the razor saw

G_DSC02437-X2.jpg

I then glued a thin off-cut of plastic card to bring back some of the thickness but have a nice smooth back plate - then over cutting the shape back so that the coving could be faired in neatly and have something to grip on to.

G_DSC02438-X2.jpg

As you will see above and below, at this point I also removed almost all of the raised ridges and bumps around the exhaust outlets as further comparison with period photos showed that these where much too heavy and prominent. I intend to sculpt more subtle replacements once I’ve added in the PE exhaust covers.

G_DSC02439-X2.jpg

I then carefully hand cut a sheet of thin brass to the correct shape aided by first creating a paper template. After which it was carefully bent onto the trimmed out ‘shelf’ and secured with CA.

G_DSC02440-X2.jpg

G_DSC02442-X2.jpg

Once set - Milliput and Mr Surfacer and yet more sanding helped blend everything in, at the same time fractionally lowering the central engine cover.. I also added a tiny, subtle raised lip around the headrest area, again evident on close up period images. Even though this is subtle I may reduce this lip back a fraction more.

G_DSC02444-X2.jpg

G_DSC02445-X2.jpg

Scale thickness is something I always strive for so pretty happy so far with this important refining tweak. Although it all looks a bit rough close up all will be refined under some sanded coats of primer...once I finally finish up with the main external work (before re-riveting :frantic: )  

Thanks for looking

Torben

• LSP_Kevin, mark31, Alain Gadbois and 2 others like this

#96 Alain Gadbois

Alain Gadbois

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

Great work Torben! I appreciate the effort you give for scale thickness, as it certainly gives an extra plus to the finished model.

Alain

#97 mark31

mark31

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

nice work you are showing here

i think you still have a lot off work ahaed

Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users