WnW AEG G.IV sharkmouth / Finito!

karimb

this is a first time I see RB woodgrain templates in work. I was in doubts, when I saw it in his page, but now I see the result is very, very convincing...

Flipper the templates are a treat to use but they are very difficult on curves and when you have details protruding, you end up having to keep the template at a distance for the surface and the graining comes out soft...they are very useful on flat surfaces but then again the borders of the etch template gets in the way when you have to woodgrain all the way to where two surfaces join like in this case the planking and where the fuel tanks start... they have their uses so i would say yes i do recommend them !

Thanks for dropping by

I think I should sit back and watch the master weave his magic. His is shaping up to be the build of the year. Karim, I'm sitting here with baited breath, my friend.

I'm glad you have the Datafiles on this. There were so many detail changes to the aircraft through it's production life it's hard to keep up. You think the P-47 was confusing, the AEG was twice as crazy.. :)

Ernie i'm glad to have you drop in, you being busy with the felix and all!

Im keeping and eye on your rigging dilemma through the engine strut. i went and took a look in the instructions and you are right the diagram is confusing!

I am no master by far, and thank you for such kind comments my friend!

Very true, the AEG's got my jumping from a ref to another to find that they all are different in cockpit configurations etc...very confusing too, so i am just sticking to what would make the most sense on this specific aircraft. I am also lucky as there is very little reference regarding white VII  :whistle:  ;)

Im glad to have you aboard for the build, lets see where this is all going to end up 

OMG........Karim my friend, every time you start a new WNW build, my jaws keep falling deeper and deeper mate.

Question, how are the R&B templates??

Keep up this very splendid work my friend, i'm enjoying this very much. :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Greetz

Danny

Danny my friend how are you!

surprise surprise eh?! lol you didnt see this one coming did you...

The RB templates? i got both of them, they are quite useful when you want to woodgrain large surfaces... For something like a wing (when i built the naked Mig3) or for flat surfaces like planks or the such i can tell you they work a treat, you can keep varying the placement of the templates to keep varying the woodgrain pattern... they are not good in tight spots lets say like the cabinet between the pilot and the gunner on the Fe2b or compound curves like the curves on that same cabinet. The templates are very fragile and you need to make sure you dont bend them to a point where the etched graining will break off or "rip" apart....otherwise i would say they are very useful and i would strongly recommend them, as you will always find a use for them...

Thank you for leaving a comment and being here !

Karim, Wonderful choice of build my friend and a great start indeed. Will you be using the Aviattic night lozenge or sticking with the kit decals?

Regards. Andy

Andy It's good to have you here!

I have tinkered with the idea of using the Aviattic night lozenges... Looking at them i found them to be a little too light, and since i'm going to have to further coat them with a dark tinted varnish, i thought it wouldn't really add alot to the build because the 'linen' pattern might end up not showing through... 

Im going to try starting with the kit decals and see how that goes and if i don't like how they look, then off to email Richard to the rescue  :innocent:

Thanks for dropping in!

Well guys,

First of all i'd like to thank everyone for such warm comments and for joining me on this voyage of discovery  ;)

Working on this kit is turning out to be very enjoyable...

I started work on the kit in the morning and had such a good time i only realized it had become lunchtime! Two sessions today the morning one, and a short stint before dinner...

This morning i started off by painting the side framing of the cockpit assembly over the black primed surface yesterday along with the other parts that are called for in grey-green. I mottled the parts with a very thinned grey-green building the opacity so the color doesn't end up looking like one solid slab... Also looking at some reference pictures, i found out that on the starboard panel in the commander's kanzel, pictures show bomb release T switches that wnw neither moulded on nor provided as separate parts. I am not sure if this applies to the specific aircraft i am building as it doesnt have the bomb racks on the nose, but i figured since the commander was using the kanzel for something, he might as well, logically, pull the releases to drop the bombs hanging under the fuselage and the lower wing... digging further, i noticed the t switches had cable runs going vertically down. I tried to look for reference photos or plan drawings to see if those lead to the back release or just to the release when bomb racks were fitted in the kanzel but i found nothing...anyway, long story short, i ended up scratching the t handles from styrene rod and 0.4 brass rod... maybe not accurate but will improve the looks of the front cockpit. Next step when i join the sides to cockpit flooring i will add the lines that run down from the handles to the floorboard

Next up, also going through the references, this time the wnw instructions, i noticed that the commander's seat next to the pilot was foldable and stowable. Reason for this is the AEG had a bad tendency to plant its nose into the ground after a bad landing, and guess who would have been standing there? the commander yes... so to mitigate this the crews and AEG came up with a solution to have the commander sit next to the pilot on takeoff and landing on a foldable seat and during flight to stow it and be able to move around to the front kanzel and to the back where the gunner would be through a 'tunnel' which is the plank that i chipped and that sits on top of the fuel tank (by the way the commander also had rudder pedals and a control column that he would plug in to be able to fly if needed, and plug out and stow when moving around, pretty cool eh!)

Wingnut wings gives you a seat that is moulded in the opened position but after taking a good look at the parts, they also have moulded the seat stowage position on top of the tunnel, so i decided to modify the seat to show it in the stowed position. I gently scored the hinges and separated the two parts of the seat. The seat is supposed to fold flat but the way wnw has moulded the seat cushion to look plush makes it impossible. I sanded the padded surfaces flat in order to glue them together, and then rebuilt the hinges with scrap styrene square rod of correct size. Padding of the seat was painted red brown and the frame wood and clear orange. The bottom fabric part of each seat part was painted in a light beige with the retaining fabric straps an off white...

There is some overspray on the beige part which i just noticed in the photos and the parts havent been weathered yet...

Well on to part 2 so i can fit all the photos in...be right back

Edited by karimb

Part two, the most enjoyable part of the day for me, was to paint the plush pilot seat... that looks more like a futon than a seat...those guys had plush seats  :coolio:

Now, for some variation, i used my standard painting technique for the pilot's seat and i used Uschi's beautiful leather decals for the two 'stools' in the kanzel and in the gunner's compartment, more on that in a bit...

Step one,I started off by preshading the seat (which will be called futon hereon) with highly diluted nato black, which is a greyish black, at very low pressure to keep the lines clean and precise. I made sure to outline the main pleats and folds in the darkest of recesses and be less focused on the areas that will be better lit...

Step two came a coat of linoleum brown which is a reddish brown well thinned to help build up opacity but not complete coverage.

Step three, i mixed a highly diluted mix of linoleum brown and added to it orange for that used leather sheen

Step four, highly diluted sand yellow which is airbrushed on the areas of the futon that would get the most abuse like the armrests and the front areas of the bottom cushion.

At this point the futon looks nice, but step five which will tie everything together is a wash of burnt sienna. The wash of burnt sienna softens the color gradation and also brings out the vibrancy of the orange highlights.

The seat back was painted wood and orange clearcoat and graining done with oils raw sienna and a couple dots of burnt umber added to accentuate some areas. When the wash and all the oils were dry i picked the cushion details with a very dark beige and this will all be also tied in when the weathering on the futon starts at a later stage... 

The stools were airbrushed dark brown on the periphery and dark sand in the middle, onto which i added dark red leather decals from the beautiful UVDR leather decals set. I placed the parts on tami tape and drew the outline and then cut those off and transferred them to the back of the decal sheet. Same process again, et voila! decals cut to shape. The decals as always worked a treat and the sides draped and bedded down extremely well with with initially microset and then gunze's Mr mark softer (the green cap bottle)...

The futon and the stools were then sealed in satin varnish to impart a 'used sheen' to the parts...

Below i will post the photos of the futon in the sequence that follows the steps in the text body, and then a couple of photos of everything dryfit just put there for photographic purposes so you can get a feel for what things look like... bear in mind the commander folded seat doesn't rest in the postion its in the photos but rather higher on the rails above which i still haven't installed or painted

thanks for looking in guys and as always comments and ideas about the build are always more than welcome, this is a collaborative effort so put your word in  :clap2:

Till tomorrow's installment,

Stay safe and happy modeling as always!

Karim

Below the link to the new photo gallery on Smugmug,

PART 2

Edited by karimb

What marvelous painting/staining/weathering skills you have!  This promises to be a world class model when completed.  I will be watching with great interest (and a wee bit of envy.)