21st Century G-14

alberto

Hello everybody!

though this is not my first post, I´m a newbye...

Started this 109 few weeks ago, to do the test. Many things have been said about it. I like it a lot, but the wings are warped and tried three times till I got them acceptable (with hair dryer), though not perfect. Added stiffeners inside the wings. But the main problem is , to me, the dihedral....too straight, though the wings attach perfectly to the wing roots, sooo....after two tries, I was not satisfied with that dihedral, grabbed the dremel and started sawing the wing roots (with the wings already attached) as a maniac. Put some plastic sheet inside the gap and CA glue, while rubber bands gave the corect angle as seen in pic...

of course, the whole surface is sanded to thin down those trenches...

best regards

post-8487-1255375859.jpg

Hello Alberto and welcome to the group. The 21st Century 109 suffer from "flat dihedral", both the F and G kits have the same issues. I was advised to cut 1 mm off of each wing root to get the proper angle. If you'd like, check out my build of the F on the Aces group build. Yours is the first G I've seen and it looks good.

Cheers

Vaughn

Sorry to sound like a party-pooper Alberto, but I'm wondering if that dihedral isn't a little too severe now. Difficult to tell from the photo of course, and it may relax a bit once the tape is off, but my eye tells me it might be too much.

Kev

Sorry to sound like a party-pooper Alberto, but I'm wondering if that dihedral isn't a little too severe now. Difficult to tell from the photo of course, and it may relax a bit once the tape is off, but my eye tells me it might be too much.

Kev

Yes, Kevin, it seems too much dihedral there, but when rubber bands were off it relaxed to a perfect point, at least to my eye...thanks for the observation. I'll post a pic showing that.

regards...

Yes, Kevin, it seems too much dihedral there, but when rubber bands were off it relaxed to a perfect point, at least to my eye...thanks for the observation. I'll post a pic showing that.

Ah, good! I hoped this would be the case, so it sounds like it's probably spot-on now. Looking forward to more pics.

Kev

This is the good dihedral, I think. Sorry for the bad pics...

and you can see some progress on hatches. I added a profile aorund the supercharger intake and did some rivets on it with a hypodermic needle cut out for that , then just pressing.

post-8487-1255466343.jpg

post-8487-1255466392.jpg

and this is a way to do it more difficult:

I added a radiator grid from the 1/24 trumpy K-4, sanded to scale it down...was the best thing around. But I intended to scribe a small gap for better attachment to the radiator base block, when suddenly a rectangle of plastic dissapeared inside the bird. I could not recover it, so now it jingles when I shake it... :evil_laugh:

Now I have the solution, on next post.

cheers

post-8487-1255467190.jpg

• 1 month later...

So here I am with updates...

not too much, as I was getting bored with this kit and had not much time, but I want to finish something even if it is not perfect. I will leave some incorrections and flaws as they are...

Applied the first coat of RLM 76 and found many imperfections that I fixed, no pics. After that, a new coat of 76 and then an RLM 74 on the top sides. They are Gunze, but I didn't like the 76, a bit too violet...

post-8487-1259003358.jpg

And according to Murphy's Law, had some problems with the airbrush, losing pressure everytime I painted...so the colors are a bit grainy, but I hope to fix that soon! And I forgot to add something....tell me what is, haha :speak_cool:

post-8487-1259003943.jpg

Alberto,

The G-14 is looking great.Your problem with pressure sound to me like a leak somewhere,perhaps you connections. Anyway best of luck with your project.Looking forward to your next update my friend.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

:speak_cool: