Minicraft Boeing 707

LSP_Kevin

I have a confession to make: I have an airliner fetish! I know to some (most?), they're just buses with wings (Airbuses!), and this was true for me also until about 3 years ago. Not sure what came over me, but now I really enjoy building them. But! They're nowhere near as easy as they look.

Anywho, here's my most recent effort, finished earlier this year. It's Minicraft's 707 in 1/144, done as a Qantas V-Jet (707-338) using Hawkeye decals.

post-3071-1287390076.jpg

post-3071-1287390095.jpg

Apologies for the dire photos, and thanks for looking.

Kev

But! They're nowhere near as easy as they look.

You've got that right. Many moons ago I did commission work (never again!). On one occasion I had to repair a few travel agent models for Wardair, you know the big ones you used to see at travel agents. I also did a whole series of 1/48 Cessna 185's for a company. The paint work is very hard to get spot on.

You're 707 looks great :speak_cool: It will make John Travolta proud

Agreed. I have been up against several airliners in the Civi aviation categories at a couple IPMS meets. They are very difficult to get right..........and when done right as your are, do come off very nice looking. Any flaws made stand out, as was pointed out, you cant hide anything with weathering and any flaws are magnified. Ill not be doing any shiny well polished surfaced models for awhile....Hard to get right, but you have pulled it off well!

Well done Kev....... :speak_cool:

Thanks chaps. It's got a few wobbly bits this one, but overall I like it. Just a note though: JT's aircraft is a different version of the 707 from this one, being shorter (technically a 707-138 I believe).

Kev

Lovely model Kev (as is your Canadair CL 604 Challenger), and as you say, they are not as easy as they look! (I had made 1/144 scale airliner master patterns for Welsh Models for over 25 years).

Derek

Thanks again fellas. I'm just about due to take on another one!

(I had made 1/144 scale airliner master patterns for Welsh Models for over 25 years).

I was indeed aware of this Derek. I just wish I could afford some of those Welsh kits. I assume you're not involved any more?

Kev

Thanks again fellas. I'm just about due to take on another one!

I was indeed aware of this Derek. I just wish I could afford some of those Welsh kits. I assume you're not involved any more?

Kev

Not any more Kev - The last pattern I made for Densil Wade was an 1/144 Embrarer EMB 195 about a few years back as a favour to him (I did not take any payment for the work - I still have pictures of the master pattern build for that one somewhere)...I must have made something in the order of over 20 plus masters for him during that 25 year period.

Derek