M1A1 AIM with TUSK

DaveJ

Until very recently I didn't build armor. As of now I'm still not 100% sure I finish armor :) but that's a topic for another thread!

I thought it would be fun to do one of these kits OOB, but then I found some aftermarket goodies (which I can rarely resist) and so it's been a bit more of a project than originally intended. Mainly I hope to learn a lot more about weathering and, in particular, the use of pigments and washes.

I won't bore you with all of the progress pics, but here are a few to give you an idea of what's inside the box of this really nice kit.

Basic hull and turret early in the build:

Turret1.jpg

Some turret details:

TurretDetails6.jpg

After I started adding the TUSK upgrade:

MG5.jpg

My poor, droopy MG. Just couldn't get it to straighten all the way out. :evil_laugh:

TurretDetails13.jpg

Things look so much better once there's some primer in place...

Primer1.jpg

And a few shots after I started getting some paint on it. This is pretty much where it stands today, patiently waiting for me to get back around to it. I have to finish the tracks (this being why I might stop building armor) and then get on to the weathering.

Paint5.jpg

Paint7.jpg

PostShade3.jpg

Fantastic Camouflage! :beer:

This airplane looks just like a tank. :o

If must drive the enemy pilots nutz when they see a tank flying up on their six. :beer:

Personally I've gotten rid of almost all my 1/35 tank kits.

Too small for me.

I prefer the 1/15 to 1/20 scale military vehicles.

The only problem is there are no easy modification kits.

If I can find the time to make mods I'll have to scratch build or kit bash with parts from the uniform sets.

And yes, I really like the G.I. Joe vehicles in 1/6 scale.

They are making scale model kits in this large scale now.

Until very recently I didn't build armor. As of now I'm still not 100% sure I finish armor :shrug: but that's a topic for another thread!

OMG!!! Same here Dave. I have an M1A2 that's been in the works for almost two years, an M-26 Pershing, M4A3... :rolleyes:

Great looking work, I have wanted to get one of those TUSK conversions but the price is a bit steep for me.