29 replies to this topic

#16 Durangokid

Durangokid

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

Always had good service.  Too bad they are out of stock on just about everything.  Do a search for 1/32 F4U and no stock of nearly all accessories.  Same with a bunch of other things I was looking for.  Bummer too since most of the accessories is free shipping. 

#17 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

Over a dozen times.

Don't order something that is OOS, though they are getting better about deleting things they can't get any longer. If something says it will be OOS for more than a few days, I suggest moving on.

You can also cancel an order if it's hanging fire.

They are really good people and I recommend them 100%.

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#18 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Always had good service.  Too bad they are out of stock on just about everything.  Do a search for 1/32 F4U and no stock of nearly all accessories.  Same with a bunch of other things I was looking for.  Bummer too since most of the accessories is free shipping. 

Hobbyeasy.com is better for Voyager and many other AM goodies. LM is not that strong on accessories, so not a good place to order them.

• Out2gtcha and RNoAF like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#19 b757captain

b757captain

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

They seem to be pretty good at losing customers, me in this case:

I had used them quite a lot while I lived in China with no problems, but last year I ordered a couple of kits with expedited shipping - after the allotted time no kits showed up but I had an e-mail receipt string showing the order had been filled and shipped. Shipping company said they never received the package from LM. More e-mails followed and then the story changed to one item I ordered was not in stock and it was now on the way. OK, wait some more. Still nothing. More e-mails, now the kit is backordered but should be just a few more days. I'm not happy at this point but ok, I'll give it another week or so. Next e-mail string reveals that neither kit is in stock, they have the one from the backorder but the other one is now OOS. So, they sold it even though it should have been reserved for me.

At this point it had been close to 3 months, and I could have gone many other routes without the hassles, so I asked for a refund. They told me they would not refund my payment because I had placed an order for backordered items! (both kits showed in stock at the initial order). Many more e-mails followed, each one sending my blood pressure higher and higher.

The final result was I had to file a claim with my CC company (got the refund) and I filed a claim with the HK version of the BBB. I was told by them that they see lots of issues against LM.

Long story short, I understand the mail order business is tough and there can be bumps in the road occasionally, but one thing I can't tolerate is being lied to, and in their case they deliberately lied, lied some more and then tried to blame me for their lies.

Since then I have spent many fun hours scouring Hong Kong for hobby stores (when I can get there) and found another mail order place that's much better, though since I'm in Japan now I don't need to use them and can't remember which one was the go-to place.

Cheers,

Mark

• thierry laurent likes this

#20 RNoAF

RNoAF

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Ordered a lot from them through the years, mostly good experiences, but i think Hobbyeasy is better.

Edited by RNoAF, 21 September 2017 - 10:34 PM.

#21 Mark_C

Mark_C

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

Good information here.  Thanks for sharing, guys.

#22 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:29 AM

I havent ordered from Lucky Model for a long time but I dont seem to recall having any issues when I did. I use Hobbyeasy and Sealmodel for the most part now as they tend to have what I want in stock more often than not and Sealmodel pack their items so well it would be a total shock if there was any damage to the kit when it arrived. If its Trumpeter kits I use dawngrocerystore on ebay, they are based in China and have some of the best prices around for new kits, they ship quickly but packing is a little on the light side but luckily Trumpeter boxes are quite sturdy, I've had some boxes arrive dindged around the corners but the kits are fine.

#23 iaf-man

iaf-man

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Ordered from them many many times(lost count)

Usually surface mail,which take about 1.5-2.5 months to arrive

Nobody can beat their shipping prices,not even other Hong Kong based shops

True that some items take them a very long time to get,I'm used to wait))

AM items best to get when they announce restock,there's always some sale going on

Customs foms can be settled by mutual agreement

HTH

Isaac

My IAF aircraft walkarounds:

http://www.primeport...rshman_home.htm

#24 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

I havent ordered from Lucky Model for a long time but I dont seem to recall having any issues when I did. I use Hobbyeasy and Sealmodel for the most part now as they tend to have what I want in stock more often than not and Sealmodel pack their items so well it would be a total shock if there was any damage to the kit when it arrived. If its Trumpeter kits I use dawngrocerystore on ebay, they are based in China and have some of the best prices around for new kits, they ship quickly but packing is a little on the light side but luckily Trumpeter boxes are quite sturdy, I've had some boxes arrive dindged around the corners but the kits are fine.

Got my P-38 from dawngrocerystore on EBay.

It arrived squashed in half. Miraculously, nothing was broken, but they said they'd refund 50% of the cost, but they accidentally refunded 100%.

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#25 Bill_S

Bill_S

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

I've ordered from them a few times (kits only), and I've been pleased.

Edited by Bill_S, 22 September 2017 - 12:46 PM.

I started building my shelf of doom, but I never finished it.

#26 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

Just ordered the Corsair 1D from them and was one cent short of getting the $15 discount. They added some masking tape which then ended up being free. They are solid folks who are often overloaded with requests, so patience and politeness often gets the right results.

• Jennings Heilig and Out2gtcha like this

#27 Gewehr 43

Gewehr 43

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

I ordered the new MiniArt T-44 when it first came out because I just had. to. have. it.  It's still in my stash.  :/  

Anyway, no problems with Lucky Model, though that's my only dealing with them.

#28 ringleheim

ringleheim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

On a related theme here, and correct me if I'm wrong...

But Lucky Model (like many other online retailers) will allow you to complete a purchasing transaction for an item that they don't actually have in stock sitting on a shelf.

There are other online retailers like Sprue Bros. and many others who do not operate that way.  If an item is found on their website, it is either "in stock" or out of stock.  If it is out of stock, you can't buy it or complete a transaction.

I personally ONLY buy from places that operate like Sprue Bros.  I don't like this idea of "Don't worry, we'll get that for you...place your order with us now."

I think a lot of people who get into trouble with a place like Lucky Model do so because they are buying something that the seller doesn't really have...and then mayhem ensues for one reason or another.

#29 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

On a related theme here, and correct me if I'm wrong...

But Lucky Model (like many other online retailers) will allow you to complete a purchasing transaction for an item that they don't actually have in stock sitting on a shelf.

There are other online retailers like Sprue Bros. and many others who do not operate that way.  If an item is found on their website, it is either "in stock" or out of stock.  If it is out of stock, you can't buy it or complete a transaction.

I personally ONLY buy from places that operate like Sprue Bros.  I don't like this idea of "Don't worry, we'll get that for you...place your order with us now."

I think a lot of people who get into trouble with a place like Lucky Model do so because they are buying something that the seller doesn't really have...and then mayhem ensues for one reason or another.

But.....

Luckymodel is very clear about their in-stock/out-of-stock status. If it's "in stock," they say approximately how many are available. Given that they are halfway around the world, you may be ordering when they're not in the office, so it's possible your item could go OOS. They will then let you know. You can cancel the item or choose to wait.

If it's OOS, they will give you an estimate on when it will be back in stock. It's often a guess, they can't MAKE a manufacturer send something. But they're pretty good. Years ago they did keep stuff on their website that had been OOS for years, but they cleaned most of that up. Caveat emptor, however, if you choose to order something that says "3-4 months wait."

I can't speak about other sites, but LM isn't "taking your money for something they don't have." If you order something that is OOS and choose to wait, why should they not have your money as a deposit on an item they're reordering based on customer demand? If you don't want to wait, then just drop them an email and cancel the order. They will refund your money.

Finally, I love Sprue Bros. but their prices can't compare to LM's on many things like the Tamiya Corsairs, and they don't carry many items LM does. So as good as they are, they can't be all things to all modelers.

#30 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

Good, several times. Dawns Grocery Store on eBay very good for Trumpeter stuff as well. I try and buy all my local stuff from my local store for local modellers, Antics in Bristol. Frome Model Centre good as well, but not quite so local. But stuffed with precious things....
Usual disclaimers.

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users