Hasegawa Me 262 Aufklärer Ia

Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

Thank you Kev, Shaka and Guy!

Here is what I managed to do in the last few days:

First, work on the cockpit sill, which is very important to get the cockpit transparencies in the correct position on the fuselage.

A bit of structural detail on the underside of the part. Two strips forward will extend all the way to the instrument panel.

6JlRdq9.jpg

I added some styrene bits under the rear section to help set it in the right angle relative to the opening canopy section, and to help the anchor epoxy putty that will

be added to complete the fairing-fuselage joint.

P4oysEt.jpg

Somehow, some extra thin got under my fingers and on the clear plastic, and created a faint foggy effect... I didn't mind really, as there was small scratch to remove in the same spot!

k5CNBrw.jpg

The styrene sill, painted and glued in place, and the clear part, sanded to remove the defects.

oFSmmBc.jpg

While this dried, I cut apart the gear doors, adding marks to facilitate the orientation of the cut sections. 

3X2EGNl.jpg

Now I'm going to go add the epoxy putty on the fairing. Results tomorrow I hope!

Alain

Hi all,

Here are the photos showing the fairing in Apoxie Sculpt:

First, I mixed a batch of epoxy and added a small amount under the rear section, insuring it adheres well to the plastic. I added some CA glue to be sure it does not come off.

JbisI7h.jpg

The part is now in place, everything aligned and secured with tape.

xeEueeW.jpg

Material is now added in small amounts, checking to be sure it is well pushed in. I also verified that the canopy doesn't shift under the pressure.

bA34dUY.jpg

zMrZ4jR.jpg

9aySYpb.jpg

After waiting overnight, the part is pushed out very gently from the inside.

OGUKSH9.jpg

After a few minutes of trimming, this is the result, although I will remove more material for a sharper look.

OSmZo8f.jpg

The front windscreen will be from a piece of 1/16 acrylic (protected by paper) and side panels from CD clear plastic from the $ store!

gyt6Ulm.jpg

More soon!

Alain

Wow guys!

Thank you all for your encouragements! This is really helping me to keep focused on this project. I had been interested in this version of the 262 for a long time but never had the occasion to start doing the conversion. 

Here is what I managed to do this week.

I made a little template to cut out the side winsdcreen panels. It will allow me to make 2 identical parts that will fit in place almost perfectly.

01eqU1r.jpg

The windscreen, being so fragile, will be one of the last parts fixed to the fuselage. So I have to see to the last details under the fuselage.

The front landing gear and wheel well. I replaced the retraction strut with aluminium tubing and styrene parts.

sRMBZlI.jpg

8k4r3G3.jpg

A section of bent copper wire links the strut to the gear leg.

That strut seemed too big to me as it was the same size as the nose gear one, so I found a piece of hollow stainless steel tube (no clue where I got that from...) and replaced the alu part with it. It is loose in this photo but I wrapped a bit of Tamiya tape inside and made the fit centered and tight after. The effect is much better now.

WAktcV4.jpg

A great source of different sized tubing is this pack of K&S bits I bought many years ago!

ZyohEGh.jpg

Here are the sections I will use to replace the meagre main gear legs. I will keep the kit wheel axles to simplify the construction of the parts..

Q4pclQz.jpg

This afternoon I have some modeling time and I hope I can get much done in those last construction details.

Alain