1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat - Scratch Build WIP

Jim Barry

Yes ! I like what you are doing Jim...all of it - from subject matter to CAD work to printed parts ! Keep it going and keep learning ! This ( and your future projects ) are going to be amazing.

When looking at 3d printer resolution, there are many factors.... My associate and I just acquired a new large format FDM type printer

( over 19"x19"x19" print area ), and are getting it dialed in.... this photo ( below ), in this case a Vase was chosen to see how it would handle overhang without supports. The "fins" on this are printed in two layers of .4 mm and almost at a 45* angle !

For a machine costing less than a grand, we are seriously impressed ! Does it produce a completely finished model with all the panels lines ?, No, but it can certainly get you well ahead of the game in many ways !! :) Joe

IMG_0424_zpsbbecnfls.jpg

Edited by Joe66

Hey Jim.  I am uber-interested in this project of yours, especially retracting LG.  I wish you alot of luck there, as the LG are not simple hinges, but 4-bar linkages.  And since I am already an AirCorps Library member, I pulled a couple of drawings.

First the top drawing 53000 (Title block with all the top sub-drawings): 

Bearcat%20Top%20DWG%2053000_zps6ig7gux9.

And next is the Alighting Gear top install (54700), a shot of part of the first picture sheet (poor quality unfortunately):

54700%20LG%20inst_zpsrygjc7wu.jpg

Very very very very cool.  

As I think you know, what I do with these 1/18 projects is I pull engineering drawings to allow myself the best opportunity for accuracy, determine what I can and cannot do from a materials and skills standpoint, account for inaccuracies I am not in control of (like plastic gage of an existing part that I must use, which doesn't scale with the real thing), and it's off to the races.  

As for Bearcat versus Mustang - Nobody should be surprised that the Bearcat rules.  Airplane technology was advancing with leaps and bounds in WW2.  Just as the Mustang was a big leap over the aircraft it replaced, the Mustang was destined to be replaced as well. The Bearcat was to replace the Hellcat and Corsair, and would have done so nobly.  Actually the latest versions of the P-51 were way faster, and would have replaced the D-model as well,  but just like the Bearcat, were left in the dust by the jets. 

Edited by JayW

I'll say again - it appears the Aircorp library collection of F8F drawings is not complete.  Whereas it seems the P-47 collection is (or so far anyway) complete.  If you go this route, it might be frustrating to find there is no drawing of something you'd really like to have.  Even the P-47 collection doesn't have everything - purchased equipment (the R-2800 being a prime example) is not defined on Republic Aviation drawings except at the install level and even then it's just an outline.  Landing gear is the same way (in the case of the Bearcat - it's Bendix Corp).  But you will find the geometry for the various hinges and critical attach points, and the top drawing 54700 appears to have plenty of detail in which to copy.  It would be nice to have access to P&W drawings, or Bendix drawings, but I don't think we have that luxury. 

I don't remember how much a subscription is, but it ain't real cheap.  But for me it would be worth it at double the price, as long as I am scratch building on WW2 aircraft.  Shoot - for my P-51 project a few years ago, I purchased an entire CD set of drawing for big bucks.  IT was worth every penny.  I don't think Aircorp library was around back then.

Lastly, I was in the business (aircraft design) with Boeing.  So my career was centered around drawings - how to read them, how to create them, and how to design parts.  So this comes easy to me.  IT doesn't come easy to everyone.

Edited by JayW

Joe and Jay, thanks much for all the input. Joe that printer seems impressive for the price. Jay, those are nice drawings of the gear. More later when I return from my vacation next week