Wilhelm Hipperts Jasta 74 "Mimmi"

Out2gtcha

See,I really like your airbrush talent.....

Dan

Thanks Dan!  Its always nice to have approval from fellow modelers, as those are the ones who truly count. Ive been dealing with a new furry 4 legged family member, and getting them acclimated to the house has taken away some bench time. 

Tonight I will cut out a sheet of checkers and paint the white on the fuselage after masking. I will also likely continue the drudging task of cleaning up the wings too. If I have the time and inclination, I might also paint the wings in Mr Color "Sail" as a base for the forthcoming Aviattic lozenge decals. 

Justin, Mike, Ernst, Karim, thanks one and all for the very kind words. You guys make it totally worth while putting up WIPs, as we all get a lot back from the feedback, not the LEAST of which is incentive to keep building! 

Ok here we go....................................

The build order on WWI stuff is kinda wacky. If you have never built a WWI model, its a bit different than most other stuff IMHO. Normally, I would do as I normally do, in making all sub assemblies, then bringing them all together in a complete air-frame, then sanding, filling as needed to get a smooth base for paint, then paint, any gloss, decals then final clear and weathering.

For WWI models its basically get as much done as far as assembly goes on the fuselage as you can, without extraneous stuff hanging all off it preventing ease of painting, complete the upper wings separately including paint and decals, and same goes for the fuse and lower wings, then bring all the fully painted and decaled sub assemblies together, then finally rigging and weathering.
Its a bit different to say the least, but Sir Peters kits DO afford excellent fit, so you know after painting and decals, all you might have to do is scrape off the mating surfaces to get back to the same great fit after finishing.

So this is where I am with the D.VII.
Ive got most of the sanding completed on the wings, but still need to do some finish sanding between the ribs (VERY tedious and time consuming, so Ive been dawdling on this a bit) and I now needed to finish up the painting on the fuselage (the wings will be painted, but all decals mainly) so I can head toward assembly. 

Now that the blue is on the forward fuse, I needed to get on on of the most difficult aspects of the paint job on Hipperts machine, the checkers. Having my own mask cutter and an ample supply of Oramask 810, has made schemes like this possible for me where before, they might have been out of reach. 
I was going to use the kit decals for the German crosses, but now Im thinking I might just scan the WnW decals in the PC, then spray them in paint so I dont have to apply an extra gloss layer.
Well on to the main show.............

For the fuselage checkers, I took a hint from a gent that built Hipperts mount on a different site who had already figured out the right size for each checker, so things fit nicely and proportionally as they should. 
I have OCD and ADD a bit along with some mild dyslexia, so even and balanced things really do make me feel good, and the checkers all along the fuselage, and onto the tail and vertical stab presented a potential problems with getting the checkers to align with everything. 
I HAD to make sure it all aligned or it would have driven me "round the bend" as our brothers from Blighty might say...............

On to it! I printed off a couple 8"x11" sheets containing a center section of 9.5mm squares in a checkerboard pattern. They arent 100% perfect, but in this case, you dont need them to be, as I can fudge things to make sure the angles are correct, from the slanting turtle deck to the flat sides.
Mainly I wanted the most critical/most seen area (the top) to be the most dead on, so that is where I started applying the checkers, right in the center top spine, line by line, inserting some individual checkers in harder to reach areas as I went.
Basically, I just printed out a BUTT-LOAD of checkers and applied them all, so later I could remove every other one. Doesnt look like much here with all of them on, but there was some SERIOUS planning involved to get all the checkers to line up across the fuselage elevator and vertical stab as well as the slightly rising turtle deck that had to be compensated for by the much straighter side fuselage panels:

20170625_212959-XL.jpg

20170625_213011-XL.jpg

Next, it was just a matter of pulling every other square off. If I had done my homework/measured right, they should come out even and straight, only needing to be off on the top and bottom of the fuse where the turtle deck climbs out at a different angle.
Starting off at the top center seemed to get me to the correct place and in the end, miracle of all miracles, all of them actually lined up to my satisfaction and surprise!:

20170625_222524-XL.jpg

Not sure how I managed it, but even the underside where the elevator meets the fuselage lined up. Lessened learned here though, as treating the elevator as its own sub assembly, and leaving it off until painted probably would have worked better, but in hind sight doing it this way, did guarantee me that the checkers would line up to the fuselage as well, since the elevator is already in situ and glued down:

20170625_222537-XL.jpg

20170625_222542-XL.jpg

20170625_222556-XL.jpg

20170625_222615-XL.jpg

20170625_222511-XL.jpg

I did manage to get the black down last night, but not much to see, as it looks ALL black ATM.  I FULLY expect that with all those checkers, spaces and edges abounding, there are going to be some leaks, bleeds and/or places where over-spray reared its ugly head and will need some touch-ups.

Heres to hoping its more minor than major

Cheers!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Checktastic Brian! Looking forward to the great reveal...

Torben

Thank you my friend!  I am too. Im FULLY prepped to see some bleeding and over-spray, as there are a LOT of edges there to possibly leak.  :lol: 

Way to go bro!

Way to go!

Turning out to be a stunner and can't wait to see how she's going to look with the masks off. Don't worry about the bleeds if you've burnished the masks down well, oramask 810 does a wonderful job!

Super update!

K

Karim, Dan, Tony, thanks one and all for stopping in on me and posting.  Always gives me a good boost!!

Onto it then!!!!       Im organizing my pics, so back in a min with some unveiling of the checkers............

First off, I set about using the Mr Paint "sail" color for standard PC-10 looking base for the Aviattic lozenges in place of primer, as I didnt want to fill the rib tape with primer or filler.  I definitely still have some more filling work to do on both wings in places:

20170628_215227-XL.jpg

20170628_215240-XL.jpg

20170628_215245-XL.jpg

Next I set about unmasking the checkers. The Ora-mask 810 did it again!  Really great results, or as great as I could have hoped for. Even in some places where I failed to burnish things down as much as I should, the bleeding and over-spray was kept to a minimum. Surprisingly, even the elevators and vertical stab came out in good shape.

Nothing perfect here what-so-ever, but still acceptable to me:

20170628_215305-XL.jpg

20170628_215318-XL.jpg

20170628_215345-XL.jpg

20170628_215353-XL.jpg

MORE......................

Edited by Out2gtcha

As you can see, I also got the leather combing painted too. I also did manage to paint the 4 teeny tiny stars on each wheel, using the Silhouette cutter to make a circular mask, with all 4 stars oriented correctly, but no pics, as they didnt record for some reason when I took them last night.

Im on my way to re-masking the combing and cockpit, so I can move onto a flat coat and some weathering:

20170628_215357-XL.jpg

20170628_215444-XL.jpg

20170628_215501-XL.jpg

20170628_215510-XL.jpg

20170628_215537-XL.jpg

20170628_215544-M.jpg

20170628_215624-M.jpg

At this point, i have to get the  the flat coat on, then I can move onto weathering!  Then Im just that much closer to assembly.....

Cheers!

Edited by Out2gtcha