• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 The Southern Bandit

The Southern Bandit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

Amen, Vince ... hardware wise there is practically no difference between a Mac or modern PC and PC's are often much faster for less money, examined many Macs internally and its basically the same or much slower components but sold for more, its the OS that is different.

Honest.

For what I do, I need Windows and I have to live with that and be more security minded, but its no big deal, honestly, if you are half tech savvy like I am malware wise.

Apple are crazy expensive though and there other even more better OS security orientated alternatives if you look around ... I guess Apple win at times because they make a complete package ... a respected brand name thing, I suppose?

But at end of day I need cutting edge PC components for my ongoing Flight Simulation hobby that compliments my ongoing Scale Modelling hobby too.

You wont see this on a Mac, but I will on my PC and I'll be able to fly it too :)

And yes, Macs can be hacked or infiltrated too.

Sorry Ron about your break in, hope the barstewards are caught, not having a go, but PC's for what I do are way better :)

• CATCplSlade and Shaka HI like this

#32 Shaka HI

Shaka HI

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:16 AM

You can always run Apple's OS on PC hardware...it's really not that difficult.

:)

I must've spent 90% of my online forums presence debating this silly topic! Let's not start! Ha ha. I like PC's, but I will get a Mac -- I lust after their hardware. It's soooo sexy!

#33 Jay Kim

Jay Kim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:58 PM

Glad that Ron is happy with his new iMac!

I too am looking to buy an iMac for me. My current desktop is 6 year old Dell Optiplex I regret having bought as it required me to reinstall Windows twice a year over the past 4 years. I think I need a cutting edge, rock solid desktop now. One with a SSD or fusion drive.

I also need a new laptop too. I am thinking about new MacBook Pro 15 vs new Microsoft Laptop vs new Dell XPS 15. I am in South Korea that I have not seen new MacBook Pro(2016 or 2017 version) and Surface Laptop yet. MacBook Pro is good except its price anyway. Which one do you recommend me?

I will go broke or rob a big bank next year....

Edited by Jay Kim, 28 September 2017 - 08:09 PM.

#34 JamesHatch

JamesHatch

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

Bought a new 15" MacBook Pro 2017 last month. 

I know many people knock Apple buyers as fanboys, but I ditched Windows-based machines as I was sick of reliability problems. Never looked back since. The TouchBar is also damn cool, and I actually DO use it!

Edited by JamesHatch, 28 September 2017 - 09:22 PM.

• Jay Kim likes this

resinGB_zpspeh4gov7_1.jpg

#35 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

Glad that Ron is happy with his new iMac!

I too am looking to buy an iMac for me. My current desktop is 6 year old Dell Optiplex I regret having bought as it required me to reinstall Windows twice a year over the past 4 years. I think I need a cutting edge, rock solid desktop now. One with a SSD or fusion drive.

I also need a new laptop too. I am thinking about new MacBook Pro 15 vs new Microsoft Laptop vs new Dell XPS 15. I am in South Korea that I have not seen new MacBook Pro(2016 or 2017 version) and Surface Laptop yet. MacBook Pro is good except its price anyway. Which one do you recommend me?

I will go broke or rob a big bank next year....

I'd look at Dell's 15inch 7000 series.

For £800 you can get an SSD, 8GB memory, an i5 processor & a 4GB video card.

The XPS is a great machine, but pricy as hell and, unless you plan on doing serious video editing, the spec of the 7000 is more than enough and you get it around half the price.

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#36 Jay Kim

Jay Kim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

I know many people knock Apple buyers as fanboys, but I ditched Windows-based machines as I was sick of reliability problems. Never looked back since. The TouchBar is also damn cool, and I actually DO use it!

I really envy you that you bought a brand new MacBook Pro 15” and do not look back. I absolutely agree Windows based desktops, laptops have reliability issues – we have to repair or install OS repeatedly and they are exposed to tons of virus or malwares forever. I hope I can afford a 15” one next year.

Jay

Edited by Jay Kim, 30 September 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#37 cbk57

cbk57

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

My MacBook pro is 6 to seven years old and has never given me an issue.  When I can't update it anymore I will get another one.  Our iMac ran until it was obsolete and still worked we just could not update it anymore.

#38 Jay Kim

Jay Kim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

I'd look at Dell's 15inch 7000 series.

For £800 you can get an SSD, 8GB memory, an i5 processor & a 4GB video card.

The XPS is a great machine, but pricy as hell and, unless you plan on doing serious video editing, the spec of the 7000 is more than enough and you get it around half the price.

Yes Dave I do not doubt new XPS 15 is very good laptop at affordable price. It is almost on par with MBP!

Jay

#39 CATCplSlade

CATCplSlade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

And yet I've had no issues with my PC. Everyone has an anecdote for their favorite PC type or OS preference; nothing is going to be changed on a model-building forum.

I run Windows because Apple does not address those areas of computing that I engage in. Linux does to some degree but the emulation is not there. I am also more hands-on with my PC's having built all of them myself since 1997. Other people just want to use their device, not become a master mechanic of it.

The only thing about this new Mac that has anything to do with LSPs is...

...do the case panel lines show up at 1/32?

• The Southern Bandit likes this

Working on: AIR - Revell Spitfire Mk IIa   LAND - Bandai 1/30 Hummel, Zvezda Mercedes L4500A, Dragon Kubelwagen Ambulance

#40 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

What surprised me about Mac's is that Apple stop the OS upgrade when they decide, rather than the customer.

My son had a oldish Macbook. It ran just fine for browsing & streaming stuff, but Apple decided that I couldn't upgrade the OS to a newer one - not the latest by a long way.

Then Google say they stop supporting Chrome because the OS is too old. So a perfectly good laptop suddenly reaches a rather abrupt dead-end.

PC's generally let the customer decide. 

• LSP_Typhoonattack and The Southern Bandit like this

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#41 The Southern Bandit

The Southern Bandit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

Never seen a Mac topic once, ever, where it never became a PC vs Mac contest :)

Its all good, Horses for Courses n all that.

Been building my own PC's for near 30 years now, no reliability problems whatsoever, even upgrade my own Windows laptops, swap out HD for SSD, add more ram, remove optical drive (can use a USB one if needed) and put another large capacity SSD in there.

I can understand why and how some Windows users get malware though, the everyday joe user if lazy tend to be the culprits, forever sorting my nephews PC in this regard, have set out a simple maintenance schedule for him, but he never bothers, neither does his Mother (LOL) always fixing her problems too, nephew is a gamer so needs a PC (as well as his PlayStation gizmo's) His mother would probably benefit from a Mac though.

3 Home built PC's here, one is a pure flight Simulation PC, totally focused for that, second is a Gaming general usage PC, third is the workhorse, all never miss a beat and of course the laptop, all on Windows 10 64 bit pro, tweaked to my liking for each machine of course.

I dont mind Apple products, own an Ipad, very useful and love my Ipod as a music lover.

We all do what we need to do.

#42 JamesHatch

JamesHatch

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

Never seen a Mac topic once, ever, where it never became a PC vs Mac contest :)

Its all good, Horses for Courses n all that.

Been building my own PC's for near 30 years now, no reliability problems whatsoever, even upgrade my own Windows laptops, swap out HD for SSD, add more ram, remove optical drive (can use a USB one if needed) and put another large capacity SSD in there.

I can understand why and how some Windows users get malware though, the everyday joe user if lazy tend to be the culprits, forever sorting my nephews PC in this regard, have set out a simple maintenance schedule for him, but he never bothers, neither does his Mother (LOL) always fixing her problems too, nephew is a gamer so needs a PC (as well as his PlayStation gizmo's) His mother would probably benefit from a Mac though.

3 Home built PC's here, one is a pure flight Simulation PC, totally focused for that, second is a Gaming general usage PC, third is the workhorse, all never miss a beat and of course the laptop, all on Windows 10 64 bit pro, tweaked to my liking for each machine of course.

I dont mind Apple products, own an Ipad, very useful and love my Ipod as a music lover.

We all do what we need to do.

I built office and gaming PC's, including sooped-up customs for many years, and enjoyed doing it. Absolutely one of my favourite things. When I left gaming and building customs, and started writing professionally, the reliability of many machines I had, including Sony, left much to be desired, so I shifted to Mac and MacOS. For me, the best thing I ever did. 

Edited by JamesHatch, 30 September 2017 - 09:34 PM.

resinGB_zpspeh4gov7_1.jpg

#43 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,226 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

I use both every day to be honest.  For a home server (which is what this iMac really is) to manage the house's music, movies, surf the web, manage our pictures, back up our iPhones and iPads it's the perfect (in my view) home management solution.

For work I am 100% PC/MS including MS AX for my ERP software. It's the better business solution. 

Cheers,

Ron

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#44 CATCplSlade

CATCplSlade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

Half of the home PCs I repaired usually involved Limewire and young teenagers.

• The Southern Bandit likes this

Working on: AIR - Revell Spitfire Mk IIa   LAND - Bandai 1/30 Hummel, Zvezda Mercedes L4500A, Dragon Kubelwagen Ambulance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users