Navy F4J - 4/24/16 Finished!

Bill_S

I just ordered the Tamiya kit this morning. Not sure yet which markings. It will be my first Phantom build ever.

UPDATE:

Tamiya F-4J kit

Aires cockpit

S-H intakes and nozzles

Eduard placards

Nautilus alignment jig

MicroScale #32-28 VF-92 Silver Kings - USS Constellation decals

Edited by Bill_S

A question or two for those more experienced than I... I'm not sure if I'm going to go OOB on the cockpit or not. Other than the price, what are the differences between the Avionix and Aires resin sets? And where can I get intakes and nozzles?

I've done this kit a couple times and have the Avionix pit but have not yet seen the Aires one. The intakes really are not that much of a chore. I had some kit compressor blades from Academy's Hornet that worked. There's a couple of WIP's on here that may help. I'm holding out to do a KA-6 tanker with my next build!

Good luck with the build, you'll soon see just how big it is! Have tons of fun with it. Will be looking in on your progress.

Paul

A question or two for those more experienced than I... I'm not sure if I'm going to go OOB on the cockpit or not. Other than the price, what are the differences between the Avionix and Aires resin sets? And where can I get intakes and nozzles?

There's a bunch of tips for this kit. That Phantom jig that's popular is one. I use a homemade one that's past it's prime! Some of the things I do with this kit is.

I cut the splitter plates off and install Last! Help with painting behind them so the paint don't get grainy!

I also cut the stabilator in two so you can glue, fill or what ever to the bare metal exhaust area. I run a pin through when all done to line up the stabs later.

There's way too many raised panels that needs to be smoothed out. Ask Harv he's just went through this!!

The wing tips should be at 12 degrees and that jig helps with that! I found .5 stock on the top of the wing joint, not bottom, let the hinges line up and it will come out 12 or close!

There's some good work on this kit on this site if you look around. It's a great F-4 kit with tons of potential in the right hands. You'll enjoy it and build it again and hopefully hooked like us Phantom Phreaks here at LSP!!! There's a bunch!! Have fun and I'll be following your progress. Great choice

Paul