NZPAF DH.9 (Wingnut Wings)

seiran01

Wood Grain has begun!

I'm testing out Dave Johnson's new method of wood grain that he used on his superb WNW Camel build (see March 2017 Military Illustrated Modeller for his full build). The grain is simply Mig/AK/Ammo streaking rust used in place of an oil, over Mr. Color C.19 Sandy Brown.  I've used Streaking Grime as I don't have Streaking Rust on hand, it's a little darker and less red.

The fuselage side wood panels are finished and I'm VERY pleased with the result. The massive benefit of the enamel streaking effect over using oils is the drying time. I had a good 4-5 minutes to work with the grain, and after 20min or so, it was dry to the touch. No more waiting days for oils to dry!

B9E41807-7C63-42B4-BB42-8F23B20F6133_zps

If I can stop using oils for wood effects, that's a bonus. I use Tamiya acrylics exclusively, but resort to oils for WNW builds.

You seem to have got great results with the MIG stuff.

Intriguing!

If I can stop using oils for wood effects, that's a bonus. I use Tamiya acrylics exclusively, but resort to oils for WNW builds.

You seem to have got great results with the MIG stuff.

Intriguing!

Agree! I bet the heavier grain effect ( or plywood) can be done with various sponges. I am going to try this on plastic and decal stock. Oil color over paint on decal stock can make the decals thick.

Rick

Guest Peterpools

Mike

Super progress and I'm hoping to start to experiment with your wood grain techniques

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks guys, yes definitely give this technique a try, it's giving me much finer grain effect than the oils I'd been using in older builds. I haven't tried this over Tamiya paint yet but I think it'll need a good solid clearcoat over it to not start messing up the paint as you spread the enamel over it. 

Fuselage is glued and I've started taking care of seams on the rear half. Make sure to take care of any gaps left by the fabric panels and the underside panel. I've got a fair bit of filling between sides and bottom which is likely due to the paint thickness and part tolerances.

I've started painting the nose panels in Mr Color #73 Aircraft Gray after a preshade of black. Something to note - there are fairly large open spaces around the retractable radiator so make sure to do your woodgrain on the bottom of the engine mount as well. I hand painted the base wood color as you'll see in the two pics below and will do the grain later.

6D475D63-60E9-4DCC-B47B-AF862468E512_zps

72A0338F-5F5C-42E1-B7E3-A610E470707C_zps

For fun, I added Mig Engine Oil to the oil tank for a bit of a spill. This was on a brush an inch away from the part, and the brush was sprayed with the airbrush at high pressure. Not sure if this will be visible once engine is in and cowl panels on... still debating painting gray over the fuel tank or leaving it in brass also.

7658D3BE-9BCA-4DFF-B67F-FAC68315898A_zps

Engine in progress, need to add spark plug wires, a little plumbing, and do some detail painting with a little more weathering. I decided to do more with the oil effects as well inside the engine compartment. Doubtful much if any will be visible in the end, but it's still fun to make a mess!

6D0DAFDD-3068-4C82-BE86-EC6297840460_zps

Following this as I too have one waiting in the wings. I'll certainly try the enamel graining technique in preference to the oil paints method.

And it's really quite difficult to tell that's a plastic engine in your photo..

For me the DH9 is far more elegant than its more powerful but brute-nosed 9A derivative, And I was delighted to be able to add a 

'Dastardly and Muttley' style open engine-poking-out-the-top type to my RAF/RFC line up, without needing to revisit the old method

Alan W Hall used in an early Airfix magazine conversion of the 1/72 DH9A.

Edited by Chek

Finally brave enough to try adding engine detail to a model, and so far this is easy! The two pipes at the front mimic pics of the engine in the instruction booklet. The sheathing joining them is black Vallejo paint slopped on.

First two spark plug wires are attached, and two more are queued up. These are simply thin EZ Line and a good set of tweezers and sharp-pointed scissors to trim the ends.

3CD1A59B-5E68-47DC-9343-064E724700E7_zps

If anyone is interested also, I've just added historical photos into the original post in this build including two different passenger conversions and a sketchy NZ DH.4 refuel job for a laugh (and a hope that WNW will hurry up and release a kit of it!)