Second Attempt at HKM B-17G With Some Minor Improvements.

Silver Dollar

Thanks guys.   I always appreciate the great encouragement.  Believe it or not, I'm sitting here writing this while watching Memphis Belle.  I know it's got a lot of "creative license" all over it but I still get to see B-17s.  

I'm in the middle of remaking the rear radio room bulkhead out of brass.  After I filled those horrible holes on the waist side, I had to sand off all of the surface detail so I could easily smooth the filler patches.  Then I opened the door and the whole piece just got too floppy to handle during the radio equipment detailing.  It's a really easy bulkhead to make and I can cut the radio pieces off the original part and glue them onto the brass plate.   

Thanks all again.  The cat thanks you too.  Yesterday, my little soldering torch went kaflooey.  It started to leak fuel as I was working with it.  Talk about an accident waiting to happen.  I almost had a model rocket on my hands.  Went to Home Depot and got a new one along with a new soldering gun.  Onward goes my work.  

Hi SD

I was checking on your build the other day to keep up with your progress when I came across the photo of the cat.

Needless to say I had to go sit in the corner with my head covered and my wife had to bring my glue to help

get thru the visions of "FLAK-KAT"  :o  :wacko:  :BANGHEAD2:  :crying:

But I'm all better now :whistle:

Love the bomb bay and the radio room details, you are progressing very nicely

Good Looking Cat,by the way :coolio:

Still keeping up with your B-17...........I'm hooked up on the Air War in Vietnam Group build that starts May 1 ....Don't know when I'll get back to my 17

Jack

Hey Jack.  I figured I'd bring back the memories of FLAK KAT.  That's only one of them but that's the one that worries me the most.  I put the completed assemblies out of reach behind a wood cabinet door.  

Here's the new brass bulkhead shown from the waist side.  Tonight I cut out all of the radio boxes but I haven't cemented them to the other side yet.  I wanted to leave that for last just before I paint that side.  Once the painting is done, I'll start fitting the guts together and then get working on the sides of the compartments.  More to come.  

DSCN2043_zps674b2c44.jpg

Thanks Geoff.  One day,  I hope to be able to do a heck of a lot more brass scratch building.   My main goal is to be free of the confines of the kit if you know what I mean.  That way, I control the scale, the shape, the horizontal and the vertical.  

Hey Jack.  If you take aluminum and brass and connect them with a salt bridge, i.e. salt and H2O, you can get a galvanic reaction.  I have to make sure no salt gets near my bulkhead. I don't want my model to be melted.  Thanks for the compliment.