NZPAF DH.9 (Wingnut Wings)

seiran01

Thanks!

Bomber County - I doubted my skills as well before I tried my first one. Was surprised how easy the wood grain and rigging were to pick up. Give it a try on an older/cheaper kit if you're not sure (revell 1/28 kits, 1/32 hobbycraft/academy nieuport / camel etc)

Guest Peterpools

MIke

Super start on the DH.9 -thoroughly enjoying following along. Thanks for the on doing wood grain and I'm absolutely going to gibe it a go.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

A little dry fitting of painted parts now that the interior (excluding seats and rigging) is finished. It's an extremely tight fit, make sure to scrape paint off areas to be glued!

BCF2AB97-C750-4F80-9DDF-8D701FE2116F_zps

Starting to look like a kiwi DH.9. You can see the filled/sanded ammo chutes in white, molded gun sights on top fuselage have been sanded down as well. Looks kind of cool to me with the long exhaust and gun fairing.

68E436B6-E217-44F8-A3EB-EEB111492952_zps

Hi Mike,

Been watching your progress - Looking good!

I have just finished a Book called "Tool Box on the Wing" by Geoffrey Ellis (Wing Commander RNZAF -retired), who serviced the DH 9 Bristol Fighter while at Wigram.

Ellis was a Trenchard Brat (RAF Boy Entrant under Lord Trenchard Scheme) who trained as an engine fitter by trade, who left the RAF after a 10 year stint (that was quite the read too) to then join the NZPAF in 1933. He was  serviceman 132 at the time.

Ellis mentions in his book, 4 Bristols being at Wigram (where I spent 6 years of my life) and being at the Summer Territorial Squadrons training camp, at Lake Ellersmere in Canterbury (South Island) which was still in use with the RNZAF when I lived at Wigram.

The Bristols were loaded with 2-4 Bombs weighing  81/2lbs each on racks, with filled Stanic Chloride, which gave off a white puff of smoke to act as a marker on/near (or not at all) the traget.

He mentions that when the Bristols landed after the bombing was completed,  2 airmen had to grab a wing tip each to slow

down/stop the aircraft, as they had no brakes <_< they also weathercocked considerably when the NorWester blew (those on LSP from Canterbury will know what I mean about the NorWester :whistle: )

After the morning's bombing, and lunch, the "Falcon" 240hp engines had to be restarted using four man teams to rotate the propeller (hand/wrist over hand/wrist), the 4th man yelling contact, hoping the pilot was switched on (pun intended) for the engine to start. If it didn't start, they repeated the process again and again....... :wicked:

At Wigram they used a Hucks Starter mounted to a Ford Model T. That was just as interesting a start as the hand swung prop!!

Look forward to the rest of your build, I always find a it a real treat to see modellers outside of New Zealand building our Air Force's history.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSmodeller

Thanks for the info, I'll have to track the book down. Have done a bit of work on the kiwi Brisfit as well but nothing worth showing yet. I think I'll need to track down a hucks starter eventually, or go off the deep end and scratchbuild an aermacchi 339... which reminds me I must prod Anthony on his Kahu mods progress!

Thanks for the prod Mike!

The panel and HUD components have been split into sections as requested. I just gotta send the dropbox link to them......just been sooooo busy with other stuff sorry

At the moment I am only getting on LSP once or twice a day very briefly unfortunately, that's a bit sad for me!

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Plus my wife has a later model Mini Cooper S Supercharger that I have just fitted all new brake pads with drilled and slotted rotors, fluids, oil and filter, Air induction kit and a few other odds n ends. Pretty well all done on that front. Cameron wants help to finish his Tamiya Spitfire, but we had decal issues there, now I am scratching my head on what to do.

Anyway, its Easter weekend and I plan on doing some 'me' stuff Mike.

Aside all that mate, I am loving this build and taking notes for my one.

Keep up the awesome work!

Cheers

Anthony