HpH Catalina-beaching gear

Anthony in NZ

Hi Anthony,

What a great project.

I have been working on this kit on and off and can offer some suggestions if it would help.

Before starting any interior make sure the primary airframe components fit together well. I spent quite some time sanding the fuselage halves on a large flat tile to ensure they edges match nicely. Further, each fuselage frame needs to be individually fitted to match the interior profile.

With respect to the -5 RNZAF Cat the nose w/w needs to be removed and replaced with a truss structure to which the pilot's seats are mounted. (Check out the Pensacola cut away Cat on the Seawings website.)

The main gear w/w need to be removed and the internal layout in that area changed as a result. Again, the Pensacola Cat has some good reference pics.

And lastly, the forward turret needs to be modified/rebuilt to reflect the twin machine gun configuration with bubble top.

Having said this, the kit is amazing and, despite being a huge project, very rewarding. I think you'll be able to build something stunning.

I haven't gotten round to starting a build thread here but you may find it helpful to have a look at my thread on LSM.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Paul

Hi guys

Thank you all so much with this information you are bringing forward!

Zero77, thank you. You can never have too many 'Cat' pics!

Paul, now your info really interests me, especially the nosewheel area. Very interesting indeed. Thank you so very much!

My good friend Dave Johnson is planning a similar conversion so maybe we can help each other out.

Thanks again chaps

Anthony

Hi guysThank you all so much with this information you are bringing forward!Zero77, thank you. You can never have too many 'Cat' pics!Paul, now your info really interests me, especially the nosewheel area. Very interesting indeed. Thank you so very much!My good friend Dave Johnson is planning a similar conversion so maybe we can help each other out.Thanks again chapsAnthony

Haha Anthony! I was just thinking of you the other day! Yeah I am in the same boat as you... I have the bug eye turret sorted... beaching gear seems to be an issue... I was thinking of using the 48th Monogram parts as start and scale up....

You need to get yourself on Facebook!

Heeeey Dave!

48th parts, now that's a good idea.  I am trying to get a hold on an Australian museum that has some, I will let you (and everyone here of course) know when I get more info.

Yep, I am on Facebook, but I just use Belynda's acct instead of setting up my own.  Although I do have one for the Auster rebuild... I will try and find you

• 1 year later...

Anyone know how the beaching gear was attached to the plane?

I cannot imagine how this was done.

If the top lug was attached, how were the tires submerged to bring the leg down to the lower mount?

Or was the plane lifted out of the water and the legs attached then lowered to the ground.

Thanks,

Steve