HpH Catalina-beaching gear

Anthony in NZ

Hi all

I am getting excited about getting this kit and have been doing some research to build a Post War RNZAF PBY-5.

Does anyone have access to a set of beaching gear to photograph and measure?  Also the big radar dome on the fuse just behind the canopy?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks guys this is awesome stuff!

I checked with the RNZAF Museum but they have 'home made' legs on their one sitting in the resto hangar and they bare no resemblance to the originals.

I must do a google and see where the survivors are.

Is the sectioned one in Pensacola(?) a -5 version, not a -5A?

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Kevin, Just googled her and they have 2 -5's (not -5A's which is good) however the sectioned one is sitting on a stand and the other one is hanging from the ceiling.

I think there might be one in Australia somewhere sitting on her beaching gear....the hunt continues.

Cheers

Anthony

It is my understanding that the 5a is the 5 with the addition of landing gear.  The 5 starts out with the R-1830-82 and was upgraded eventually to the R-1380-92.  The 5a has the R-1830-92 and retractable landing gear.  The first 124 had the single front 30 cal on the nose, and the late had two 30 cal.  Now this wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.  I know HpH's kit is the 5a with retractable landing gear.  The plane above does not have landing gear which would make me believe it is a 5 instead of a 5a.  I haven't noticed any other real appreciable differences.  Again though, someone correct me if I am wrong.  This is a wonderful kit.  I have one in the stash for sometime in the coming years.