101 replies to this topic

#91 Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:24 AM

Thanks KiwiZac.  I can tell you at least in terms of the Shapeways service, the details are very impressive and the cost is coming down. When I started making some prints last spring things were mildly pricey but it's come way down (like half). My costs to date (and likely the final tally), which include a number of learning mistakes, pegged  US $300 . The cockpit is about $60.  I'm not terribly efficient . I could have hollowed out some parts and done better at batching my orders to save on shipping.   It's such a different purchase when you are the author of the design work. It not only delivers a nifty scale model but also a lot of self satisfaction.  

• KiwiZac likes this

#92 GunnarO

GunnarO

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

I think the 85% does help with the perspective of the task since you are shooting fairly high but will realistically have to settle for less. Not even sure a lot of personalities can work with this dynamic. You have to fool yourself into thinking you can do anything and then only later tell yourself it's OK to fail (a little). Perfectionists can give this a try but unless they can also deal with a significant failure rate they are very likely to give up in frustration (and worse their standards are so high that they "fail" a lot) . I'd probably categorize myself as a hard working dreamer who at times comes down from the clouds.  The more I work though the better I am and fewer trips down. It quite addictive that way. Much like golf I suppose. 

I'll watch for that thread. But by all means share the journey in any form. 

That's a good advice, Jim.

I always want to put all the details I can get into the model. But, If I ever want to finish it, I have to remove and simplify a lot. I ask myself "what will be visible on the finished model" quite often, and have started to make the 3D model based on that. (This relates mostly to 3D modeling/3D printing) So, on the Whirlwind I'm making, I've left the elevators attached to the tailplane since it's not important to me if I can move them on the finished model. This leads to a simplified hinge based on what's visible, like this:

swele0.jpg

Because, when I've put on the litho plates for covering the model, this is what's visible:

swele1.jpg

So, no one can see if the bearings are missing...

This is my 85%. I do deeply admire those that put all the details in and make all the control surfaces and landing gears movable, but I'm good with doing things this way and I have a lot better chance of finish it some day than loose myself in details...

Cheers

• Uncarina likes this

Gunnar

#93 Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

Gunnar. I think you have a wonderful sense of it all. In my progress I've dismissed a lot of details for the greater goal of finishing things, too. I started to sweat a lot of detail in the Fury only to later "let go". Being my first scratch build, there were just too many shortcomings and unpracticed skills to have invested more time and toil. Learned a ton and moved on. No regrets. I actually chose something well into the middle of my favorite planes list so that there was no crying.  The Bearcat (also something of a middle child), being my first 3D project is kind of changing perspectives on what I'll model and what I won't. Still, there is a sense of "85%" as a way to keep moving forward. Ultimately, I think I'll end up building a lot more planes with 3D. I've already started ordering books and made some 3D "sketches"  for SB number 3!    

• LSP_Kevin and GunnarO like this

#94 GunnarO

GunnarO

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

I've already started ordering books and made some 3D "sketches"  for SB number 3!    

:D just like me... Look forward to your next project already.

And don't be surprised if a 1:24 scale 3D printed F-104 makes its way to LSP eventually.  :whistle:

Cheers

• Jim Barry likes this

Gunnar

#95 Dandiego

Dandiego

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:36 AM

Jim,

I have been following your 85% discussion. I hear you and understand. I am struggling with pretty much the same issues with my F-90 project. The farther along I get the more compromises I end up making.

I know that I will not be able to build the perfect model. But it is important for me to finish having invested over a year on this build. Hopefully I will be happy with the finished model. In the end it will look like an F-90, just don't look too close.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego, 28 November 2017 - 05:38 AM.

• Lee White, Jim Barry and GunnarO like this

#96 Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:22 AM

Mail came today with the newest creations.  I think that's it for 3D parts. Here's a layout. A lot more work ahead, but this is really pleasing me. 

XGyxkh.jpg

l5zd0p.jpg

• 109, Youngtiger1, Starfighter and 5 others like this

#97 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 39,718 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:27 AM

That's awesome, Jim! Can't wait to see you whip those parts into shape.

Kev

• Jim Barry likes this

#98 SCRATCH BUILDER

SCRATCH BUILDER

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:18 AM

Nice Jim,

Took the plunge, got some parts for the V1 from Shapeways.

• Jim Barry likes this

Rick

****If you can't find it, Make it.****

#99 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:49 AM

Wow!

• Jim Barry likes this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#100 Maxim

Maxim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:02 AM

Very impressive!

• Jim Barry likes this

#101 TorbenD

TorbenD

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

Great stuff Jim! The future has arrived! 

Torben

#102 Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:34 AM

Thanks, guys.   Clearing out my workspace tonight and hope to get to assembly mode in a few days. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scratchbuild, scratch, 1/24, grumman, bearcat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users