MRP paint fine surface primer question

ChuckT

Hello out there.

I'm wanting to prime some items with MRP's fine surface primer and being that I haven't used it before, I'm not sure what air pressure to airbrush it at. Does anyone have any input on this? Any other things I need to be aware of when using this primer?

Thanks in advance, Chuck.

Edited by ChuckT

Chuck,

One suggestion would be to try it out on a spare model or something.  I keep an old1/48 Mustang around just for this kind of stuff.  besides, depending on your airbrush and needle, you may need to do a bit of experimenting.

Just a suggestion and good luck with the MRP.  I hear GREAT things about it!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

I used MRP's  Fine surface primer and shoot it exactly as I do MRP paints: straight out of the bottle, with a few drops of retarder added: @12-15psi with and Iwata HP-Cs Eclipse, .35 tip. I keep the primer thinner and build up the coasts.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

A few years back I used to use Tamiya Primer but was never a fan as I hard a very hard time shooting it super smooth.

I am able to shoot both MRP and Mig primer consistently with a very smooth surface when dry (maybe 15 minutes or less) that doesn't require any polishing before moving onto the next painting stage.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Chuck

I used MRP's  Fine surface primer and shoot it exactly as I do MRP paints: straight out of the bottle, with a few drops of retarder added: @12-15psi with and Iwata HP-Cs Eclipse, .35 tip. I keep the primer thinner and build up the coasts.

Peter

What are the advantages of using the retarder Peter? One of many things that I like about MRP paints is how quickly they are touch dry, but never at the expense of achieving that super-smooth finish!

Max

Guest Peterpools

Hi Max

I've found the retarder (Mr Retarder Mild Gunze 105) ) helps keeps the MRP Primer and paint, as well as Mr Color Paints a bit "wetter" and they seem to flow onto the plastic soother and then still dry very quickly. One of the issues over the years with lacquer based paints is they tend at times to dry too fast, which prevents them from laying down very smoothly. I only use a few drops of retarder to the mix and have found that it helps the paint level better and the finished surface is very smooth. I even use MRP and Mr Color Gloss Black as my base  (primer) for all my NMF work and with the retarder the finish is so smooth, Alclad and AK Metallics work beautifully.

Lacquers do dry at times too quickly and the retarder is one key in achieving super smooth finishes without the need for polishing.

Peter