Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

It used to be "If you build it, they will come", a Field of Dreams movie reference used in conjunction with modelers who embark on a project like a vac-form or pig's ear into a sows purse project, using extensive modeling and scratch building skills to create a masterpiece of the modelers art, only to have a major manufacturer release the exact same build as an injection molded model subsequent to the models completion. In this case Tamiya announcing the release of the bird cage Corsair later in the summer. Some spy must have leaked that you were about to embark on such a project and Tamiya was forced to jump the gun. Damn those insidious corporate spies. However, if you don't complete the project, the heat will be off Tamiya to bring it to the level of excellence I imagine your build will turn out to be. Either way, the trailer to Chester Nimitz's query to Bull Halsey about the location of Task Force 54, "the world wonders" seem appropriate.

Thanks for all your encouragement fellas. Much appreciated! It seems to me the main challenge with this build will likely be fitting the Aires wheel bays. I haven't really looked at them yet, but at this stage I plan to cut them up and reduce their height, rather than trying to thin everything to suit. We'll see if that's actually feasible when we get there. Got a fair bit to do to clear the bench first.

Kev

Cough, Huges racer, cough, cough :D :D :D

Yep! Did a little bit of work on the prop over the weekend actually. Ready to put some Alclad on at the next available opportunity. But I'm also keen to get back to my 190S conversion, and finish off my Matchbox Spitfire!

Kev

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to bump this one back to the surface so you guys can all beat on me about not starting yet. This is the masochist's version of inspiration! With my Hughes racer finished (apart from some scheduled touch-ups and sorting out a vignette) and my Matchbox Spitfire approaching its conclusion, I just need to decide whether I plough into this one or finally get back to my 190S. There's not really room on my bench (or in my brain) for both, and I'm feeling quite conflicted at the moment!

Kev

Well, Kev, I was just thinking that I need to build the last Trumpeter Corsair in the stash since I have all the stuff for it. Once Tamiya does a later one, there's no way I'll want to put myself thru that kit again. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was the worst modeling experience I've ever had.

Id say deep down, if ur puttin up a post of your own accord strictly for motivational purposes on the Corsair, Id say thats a good place to start!

I reckon it's more about wanting to get back to the 190S, but feeling guilty that I haven't started this yet (no slaps from AB yet though, thankfully). I think I need a bit of public encouragement to steer me in this direction. Perhaps I can try to work on both, but I somehow doubt both the practicality and sanity of that approach. And let's not forget the Aerotech Spitfire! Though I expect to have that finished in close to record time.

Kev

I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was the worst modeling experience I've ever had.

Well, most of my builds seem to be borderline train wrecks, so it certainly won't be anything new to me. You're all making it sound rather intimidating though!

Kev

You won't know how it builds unless you do it yourself. I say go right ahead with it. It will look cool, and you can say that you built one the old fashioned way before the Tamiya kit.

Oh yeah Matt, I have every intention of building it (ie, not failing the challenge). Just a matter of whether I bump it ahead of my erstwhile 190S conversion, which is now well into its 4th year...

Kev

Oh yeah Matt, I have every intention of building it (ie, not failing the challenge). Just a matter of whether I bump it ahead of my erstwhile 190S conversion, which is now well into its 4th year...

Kev

That makes sense. It would be cool to see the -190S get finished up as well, that's a pretty rare bird. It would be cool to see either build get back on track. If you finish the 190 first, it will probably be the only one completed when you take it anywhere. I'm sure though we'll see a lot of Corsairs for the next year or two while people build those up.

Matt :party0023: