Been helping making reference books for modellers

Nic C.D.

In the last couple of months, I haven't been doing a lot of modelling... That's because I've been helping with a cool book project. Well, it's actually a series of books for aircraft modellers and enthusiasts. I hope it's okay that I post some info on it here.

This project is to make aircraft reference books that are packed with a mix of great action photos and detail photos - and trying to do this for a reasonable price - 3 to 4 times per year.  

Next Wednesday, the first two will be coming from the printers and the next 3 books are well on their way. The first two are on the Jaguar and the F-16. These books are 24 x 24 cm in size and are printed on thick paper.

540.jpg

The Jaguar book is 84 pages and packed with over 250 photos of RAF, French and Indian Jaguars. With the help of fellow enthusiasts, it is filled with every possible detail, but also with some great action photos. Every cockpit detail, lot's of maintenance shots, etc. 

The F-16 book has more pages and shows everything from active F-16's - so F-16A MLU to the latest F-16E. Some F-16 pilots helpt out for this book: the cover is a great shot by one of them, showing F-6's carrying 6 Amraams. There are also some great cockpit photos - even in flight! This book has 108 pages and over 370 photos. In all, F-16's from over 20 countries are shown in this book. 

540.jpg

The Jaguar book costs 20 euro, the F-16 22 euro. A website is being constructed, but there's still some work on it: www.hmh-publications.com 

You can find a preview of each book there. 

I liked the idea of these books, because they were made by a modeller who was looking for a reference book on the Jaguar and because he didn't find what he wanted, just started to make a book for himself. When he showed it to a few people, they all wanted one, so it was decided to make it into a "real" book. After that, it became a series... Some modellers advised on what kind of photos were needed, which was very helpful. It was great to meet enthusiastic people with a passion for aircraft and for modelling. Just for that alone, it was great to be in the project.

I hope you don't mind my posting this here.

Nic

Gentlemen, ladies, take it from me, when Nic "dives" into such a project, either starting or assisting, such a booklet is filled with very good info, pictures and the lot, in other words:  worth your attention and money.

Btw, Nic, are these series along the one you already published viz. the Phantom II  ??

greetz

Jack.

Thanks for the nice feedback and thanks Jack for the kind words! I hope to live up to them.

Well, it was fun to be in the project and with some 2017 LSP releases in mind, work is being done on another book of a fast jet active in several air forces. 

Thanks mpk for the link! And thanks to mark31, Wunwinglow and Youngtiger1 for the orders. I'll pm with the details!

Nic