Cessna O-2A `Jade 07' The man meets the model.

ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Never ceases to surprise me with your creative approach to dealing with parts that need to corrected. Super work on the gear

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Eric

Great build again. I love all the background info on the build. Very nice fix on the u/c.

BTW what jet have you traded the Dash 8 for ?

Nick

Hi Nick, one of these beasts. Lost a stripe, took a pay cut and gave up all my seniority at the last company but wanted to fly a jet before I hit 40.

IMG_1192-M.jpg

David has maintained a history of flying aircraft after the RAAF, including a museum owned O-2. It has been a while since he has flown but these are photos taken in 2003 of him flying one.

1_O2_1-L.jpg

This one hints at the portrait photo taken 34 years earlier.

Snoopy-XL.jpg

A couple of different views of the flightline. The first photo is definately 972. At first I thought both photos were of the same aircraft but from different angles but the different position of the nose roos prove that wrong. Useful details that I have spotted are : roos on both the tail and nose on 972 (although snoopy seems to be missing on the back of the nose roo), White blade antenna on the roof, solid hubcaps (not present in the kit). Once again, this machine has the modified left pilots window, not buildable without modification of the kit.

jades-X3.jpg

O-2flightline-X3.jpg

Some modelling.

I enter most of my models in shows around the country and sometimes see people from the crowd(mostly kids)reaching over the tables and touching some of the kits. On two occasions I have seen someone try to spin the prop of one of my models, even with big `Dont touch'signs and supervising adult right next to them!

For this reason, I will try and beef up the prop shaft, just for peace of mind. It also allows for easy removal for transport etc. First, I driled a hole right through the crankcase.

IMG_1125-X3.jpg

I then found a length of aluminium tube (outer) to fit the crankcase and fitted an inner tube to the prop hub. Notice the rather puny piece that Roden gives you to do the same job

IMG_1128-X3.jpg

Fitted. Much stronger and safer.

IMG_1129-X3.jpg

Edited by ericg

Damn Eric! Now, I think I've about seen it all... that trick with the wire is ingenious mate! Glad to see you get on the B717 - we just retired out our last F70/100 and a whole gaggle of them are sitting in Bratislava ready for delivery to down under!! I guess they will end up in the Qantas fleet somewhere... 

Great updates as always mate!

Fly safe and thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Alan 

Very cool. That seam will indeed be very handy for scribing a deep groove for the strengthening wire.  I too have made plans as I normally to use brass rod/tube to strengthen the prop as well. 

Although even if someone has done that to one of my models at a show/contest  I'm glad I have never seen them do it.   Id hate for some little ankle biter to get the taste slapped out of his mouth in while out and about  seeing models with his family.    :rolleyes:

Thanks alot guys.

David sent me an interesting Youtube clip today of an O-2 display. He mentioned that the smoke was standard fit and was used if the fighters had trouble seeing them.

Another great period photo. David apologizes for the focus!

O-1s and C180s in the ‘open' maintenance hangar at Bien Hoa. Mid 1969.

O-1SBIENHOA-X3.jpg

Some modelling. A small update today as most of my focus was on the Aviatic Balilla.

I replaced the kit push rods with brass rod. Much easier to trim the rod than to clean up the kit plastic parts. Possibly only visible by an IPMS judge with a torch, but thought I would do it anyway,

IMG_1236-X3.jpg

The picture of the Boeing 717 is awesome. I picked up a boat load of MD-95's as they were first called and the MD-83's off the Mac-Douglas assembly line in Long Beach back in the late 90's for TWA. Always loved how they (MD) treated us. Congrats on the jet move.

lovely 0-2work going on more importantly.

Troy

Hi Eric

Hi Nick, one of these beasts. Lost a stripe, took a pay cut and gave up all my seniority at the last company but wanted to fly a jet before I hit 40.

Great that you now flying a Boeing (MD 82). Enjoy the new jet and swept-wing characteristics. Yes, this is one of the strangest professions. To move one step forward ,you often have to take two backwards. I only started flying a B732 at the age of 44.

Thank David for providing all the pictures. Nice to get an insight into some of the lesser known side of the war.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11