Hobbycraft P-51A

Aptivaboy

I'm not sure how I'd fade the upper markings. Perhaps spray some Floquil Dust? I'm going to have to think about that one.

There are multiple schools of thought............

Me personally, I use either the base color lighted a tad with white and thinned at a 10:1 ratio thinner to paint or use the same ratio only with Tamiya buff or a similarly shaded color.

This gives the allusion of wear and since its thinned the effect comes on very gradually. Just be careful as you can go from subtle to over done quicker than one would think.

Brian

Thanks, I shall give that a look!

She got her khaki drab upper coat a few minutes ago. It looks ago. You can just see the base coats through the khaki drab. I'll touch up a few neutral grey areas later today to eliminate the overspray.

Any ideas on replicating the exhaust streaking along the fuselage sides? In black and white photos it appears white, but I suspect its a standard exhaust color, sort of brownish, that's just showing up oddly in those old photos.

Robert

Edited by Aptivaboy

Thanks, I shall give that a look!

Any ideas on replicating the exhaust streaking along the fuselage sides? In black and white photos it appears white, but I suspect its a standard exhaust color, sort of brownish, that's just showing up oddly in those old photos.

Robert

Hi Robert,

About the exhaust stains. Dirty white, using a very thin almost a wash of white. The whitish color due to lead deposits from the high octane gas used.

Blackish stains caused at times by using max power to clear the plugs of lead fouling causing the whitish stains on the fuselage.Or that's my take on the staining.

Mike Horina

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas. I'm currently working on making some masks for the canopy. I had to take break when the real world intervened - work, house repairs and a family tragedy. Its been a bad last two weeks.

I basically took a masking set for the Accurate Miniatures P-51A and upscaled it. I'm going on the assumption that since the model is an upscaled Ac-Min kit, that upscaled masks should work. Should. Maybe. I'm praying...

PS. The masks aren't perfect, printed up on a home printer and then cut out with scissors, but they seem to be okay. Not great, just okay. Still, they're better than nothing. The cockpit framing is so indistinctly molded that cutting the masking out by hand is pretty much a non-starter.

Edited by Aptivaboy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Robert

Just a suggestion with the camera problems. My guess is the photos are out of focus and blurry due to the camera being way too close to the model to focus correctly. I'm also guessing your hand holding the camera with one hand and the model with the other, which might add to some blurriness.

Put the model down on the and keep moving away from it until the camera is able to focus sharply on it. Them steady the camera with both hands and take your photo. Isure your are using some brand of camera processing software. In there, you can crop and enlarge the photo and it will remain sharp un tp the limits of the lens.

For a test, take a photo of something on the wall a feet feet away and see if it is sharp. Keep moving away until it is. In post production, you'll be able to make up the smaller size image and the photos will be a lot sharper.

I'm sure, all the guys want to see your work as you progress through the build.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Too late now, but keep in mind the HC early Mustang series kits are simply scaled up versions of the very nice Accurate Miniature 1/48 kis. Unfortunately, they didn't do any refinement of details, so things that look ok in 1/48, look clunky blown up to 1/32. If you check around reviews on the AM kits, they have the same wing fit issue. The fix is simple, and although it's been a while, the big issue is that folks glue the upper wing down to the gear well, which causes a step at the root. The other issue is that the plastic is too thick at the rear edge of the lower wing where it meets the fuselage. It causes a big step and causes problems aligning the scoop. If you thin it out, the problem goes away.

I built the A-36 a few years ago and had no fit issues at all other than those two, which weren't too hard to deal with.

Edited by csavaglio

Yeah, I've sadly learned all that through the School of Hard Knocks. It isn't a bad kit, it just needs a lot of planning and care.

Okay, the decals are on but for the white theater stripes. The kit decals for the stripes sucked. Did I mention that they SUCKED??? I'm going to try to get some low tack pinstriping tape and mask and airbrush them. Hopefully, the decals won't peel up. They're well sealed with Future, so wish me luck!