1/32 HK Meteor F4

TaffyMan

Taff,

True but Profimodeller is already working on sets for the ammuniton bays and resin/brass engine with inlet/outlet piping.|

Sofar the only realy issue with this kit is the high price. Although the fundamental kit is great. It was the first jet I built

in many years, and it made me do the EE LIghting now too.

Cees

Cheers Cees - Yep I am not knocking the kit - I love it - all I am saying for £80 I would have liked a cone shape to finish the intake off and not just the cavern you get OOB. And a longer tube at the back so you can seal it off so you don't look into the backend off the cavern area.

I love what HK are doing and will be buying more of their efforts in the future

Been looking at Profi and also Eduard both have got some bits – soon to be released. Too late for this one but may be if I can manage another!!!!  Plus the superb Fisher Mk8 conversion!!!! OHHHHH my poor wallet!!! :innocent:

Taff,

Outstanding build and tutorial! I really like your approach.

Cheers,  Tom

Cheers Tom – Bit less a tutorial and more making it up as I go along!!!! But I hope you can get something from my efforts even if it is not how to do it!

Taff

Fantastic work and your detailing is just fantastic.

Keep 'em com ing

Peter

Ta very much for looking in Peter

Based on an email I just received from Profimodeller, I believe these sets are now ready.

Kev

Just had a look at their site - that looks pretty good

I looove these early jets. Yours appears to turn into a real masterpiece. Fantastic work!  :)

Chris

Cheers Chris - Me too! So many shapes and experiments from this time period!!!

Looking great thus far.

This isn't helping my temptation to buy the kit...

Just do it! Give in to temptation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - you know you want too!!!! :wicked:

Looking forward to your progress.

Good job so far.

Mark

Ta Mark - Progress Hum one-step forward three back at the moment - trying to get rid of seams!!! Dropping it and re-splitting just as you have them finished doesn't help my hair loss. :crying:

Hey Taff

..lovin what you are doing here - really nice work on the 'pit :popcorn:

looking far better than the kit offers....(I guess I would say that :whistle: )

great job

Peter

Yeah Peter - bits of your making all over this creation - from Cockpit, engines and wheel bays

Like what you are doing for the Tiffy - and will be buying a set when done keep up the good work mate!!! :thumbsup:

Looking and learning

Great job!

Tony

Gulp hope I don't lead you astray!!! Thanks for looking in.

Thanks for all looking in and I should be doing some propper update with pictures at some point next week - Some good bit - some near disasters - and fingers crossed I will end up with a Meatbox at some point?

Happy Days - taff :D

Taffy

Great work thus far on a lovely subject. I must say, it warms my heart to see others make mistakes like me. You know those "what was I thinking" kind of mistakes I seem to make more of every day.

I look forward to more of you build and the finished item...

Cheers

Geoff

Taffy

Great work thus far on a lovely subject. I must say, it warms my heart to see others make mistakes like me. You know those "what was I thinking" kind of mistakes I seem to make more of every day.

I look forward to more of you build and the finished item...

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff – Yeah really do like these early jets. They are such a combination of both the WW2 technology and the next steps in aviation.

I seem to get more of those moments!!!!! But hay if I could make mistakes that look like your P51 – uhhhhhm think I could live with them!!! Ohhh Yeah you bet I could.

Okay update time  - Been ticking away at this one.

One step forward and about 5 back!!!! So on to one of the steps forward – the wheels and legs.

Finished the main legs and added some wire and insulation to simulate the brake tubing. Also managed to paint the wheels and legs separately

– really didn't fancy trying to do that tricky masking job.

I noticed that as long as you don't push them to far you can spread the arms and ease the wheels into place.

The front leg was going to be trickier as I am replacing the kit wheel with the Gray Matters 5 spoke one. This isn't going to fit on to the kit pegs. So there was no choice – cut these off then drill them out so I can place a small piece of thin brass tube in as an axle. The tube ends where then covered with some plastic nuts.

Oh it's easy show it with a picture!

025-Meteor-F4_zpsdce0ff37.jpg

So this allowed me to finish up on all the legs – the final line up

026-Meteor-F4_zps3643776f.jpg

Right next bit to do was to tart up the engine face fronts – not accurate but it is burried in the nacelle so you don't see much of it.

So added some wires, Airscale brass bits and some plastic. This is what I ended up with plus also as good a view down the nacelle as I could get it.

027-Meteor-F4_zps77728ffc.jpg

So from the highs of achieving something – the one step forward :D – to the next second three back!!!!!!!!!!!  :crying:

AHHHHHHHHHHH  :BANGHEAD2:

In brief I taped all the wings together then taped these to the fuselage. Looking good I stand back to admire ……..

................at this point ..........

........ I watched all my work topple of my desk and plunge the  four or so feet nose fist into the floor. :deadhorse:

Didn't take any pics of the nose – but in short all the seams split on the nose, tail and some other bits broke off.

Also the wings went spinning across the floor breaking these bits as it went.

028-Meteor-F4_zps84e70fe1.jpg

So I walked away – just couldn't face it – having to re-do the work again.

Okay back at it after a day off – checking over her ..... not too bad….. well not good aswell but could have been worse – so put all the bits back in and re-sealed the Fus, and started to re-work the seams.

Thought I would move on to something else whilst this was drying. I am going to drop the landing flaps. The kit parts are a bit thin here – so in a mental :mental: fit I decided to cut them up and replace them – why!!!!!

Using the kit part as a template I traced the shape onto some thin brass sheet then cut this out. I then scanned this in and in illustrator draw up some templates to cut out of some thick foil.

029-Meteor-F4_zpsaeda69e2.jpg

My idea is to do a bit of a hybrid from the kit and some scratch – that way I know (fingers crossed :please: ) will fit okay.

Right test fit before I slash the other kit part up.

030-Meteor-F4_zps49b6a427.jpg

That looks okay!

So after some hacking up of Tea Candle tin foil – bending – sticking. I got this, not accurate but a little better to my eye then the kit part.

031-Meteor-F4_zps95689bfd.jpg

Cool back with some more in a moment

Taff :D

Right back after the quick break

Now time to break out some paint.

These got painted aluminum then a bit of weathering and oil paint. Also whilst I had the airbrush out I painted the insides of the nacelles.

I am trying a bit of smoke and mirrors here – don't know if it will work but worth a try – my idea is to try and keep the front part dark so you don't see it but I am hoping that if you look closely up the hole is that the aluminum is viewable at the edges.

032-Meteor-F4_zps2cbdfb17.jpg

Time to seal up the wings

The landing flaps in place.

033-Meteor-F4_zps77780a87.jpg

The wings didn't seem to line up – so I was left with a bit of a lip on both wings! But then one bonus of dropping something on the floor was I found a part that broken off with the death plummet. So a bit less scratch repair needed! :thumbsup:

034-Meteor-F4_zps4693ace9.jpg

035-Meteor-F4_zpse2718b17.jpg

Here is a picture of the wings seams ready to rub back. Also the nose re-glued and sealed – looks like it has been mummified.

036-Meteor-F4_zpsb15e82b5.jpg

Wow time to get back to her weight issue. Nose not tail sitter!

To do this I dry fitted the main UC so that I had the correct pivot point. Then, as mentioned earlier, I ditched the nose weight and went with the curtain weights as I can get these further forward.

So 34g latter

037-Meteor-F4_zpsaddb4664.jpg

Fus on and yahhhhh – Nose not tail Coooool :thumbsup:

038-Meteor-F4_zps805c949b.jpg

Just to be sure I put a bit more in – only half a weight - so it was 40g in the end so added to the 22g in the nose equals 62g in total. A bit more than the 46g nose weight you get in the kit.

039-Meteor-F4_zps6008c105.jpg

040-Meteor-F4_zps61c81975.jpg

Okay 308g – naked lets hope the front leg holds it all up – fingers crossed! :shrug:

So now that's done time to glue them down.

041-Meteor-F4_zps565fcc4d.jpg

Okay all for now folks – next big step forward (and I hope no more back) is wings meet fuselage and get them buttoned up – cool

Also need to get my artwork for the masks off as I might need them soon as this seems to be coming together quite quickly.

Thanks for looking in – till next time happy modeling

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for looking in and replying -

Cees and Kev Yep Gravity really does suck sometimes - I don't know, between this making me pull my hair out and gravity pulling what is left down and pushing it out through my nose and ears - blimmy you have got to love getting old huh!!!!! :frantic:

Tried to repair the damage best I can, we will see - she my become a stay at home queen. I hope not I was looking forward to taking here out on the road!

Okay Guys and Gals - next instalment of “how not to make a Meatboxâ€

With the seams and other bits that broke mended, best I can. We will see how they turn out, just hope they don't come back to bite me latter in the build or painting? :shrug:

Now that the Fus lump was pretty much there and the bulk of the wings together I moved onto some of the other bits -

The canopy

I like the detailed moulding that HKM have done on these bits - But IMHO they are a bit too delicate! :hmmm:  Trying to find the lines to do the masking was a PIA and took me the best part of 4 to 5 hours of both finger and eye strain to get them to this stage, ready to paint!!!! I even resorted to punching out some small bits of tape for the corners because I couldn't get any line to show up to trace or cut too.

So eventually got them masked up

042-Meteor-F4_zps8a63452a.jpg

Painted the insides with a dark grey/black mix

043-Meteor-F4_zpse85fb4ee.jpg

So letting these dry before I flipped then over and did the top side it was time to put the tail feathers on her.

As you can see from the first pic the fit on the top was okay.

044-Meteor-F4_zpsee9386fa.jpg

But the bottom not so good. :hmmm: This will need to be treated to some super glue and talc mix as a filler.

045-Meteor-F4_zps1af13728.jpg

I also finished up the ‘tarting up' of the gunsight.

Basically cut off the solid piece you get for the glazing! (HKM why solid plastic) And replaced it with some spare brass bits, clear plastic packaging and some tin foil.

My finished sight efforts.

046-Meteor-F4_zps37c98957.jpg

Then put in place in the cockpit - have to say that this gunsight looks massive when placed and also looks very large in comparison to the cockpit pictures I have. Then I am no expert and am going with the kit one.

047-Meteor-F4_zpsc9141c31.jpg

Also a warning to anyone else making this kit using the kit gunsight.
I would follow the instructions on this and fit it before you seal her up. As I found out latter when I put the front canopy on. I was way out of position and had to break it off and FAF about to get it sit better and not touch the screen. this being a PIA, :fight:

lesson learnt for when and if I do my MK8 - then the Fisher conversion treats this area differently from the bits I have seen.

Finished up the front wheel bay with foil on all the edges - weathered in - and MM Semi finish.

048-Meteor-F4_zpscae352f0.jpg

Also as I worked on this area I noticed that there is a space under the cockpit floor. So if you are wanting to show the front well you can get some of the weights further forward by sticking them in here. Not sure how much but it would save you a little on the total weight needed.

049-Meteor-F4_zpsc7c8b783.jpg

Okay fist bit - back in a mo with some more

Okay I am back :frantic:

So next I moved on to putting the two big lumps , Fuselage and Wings, together. This is relatively painless, I followed Kev's lead on this and used some tape to pull the wing tips up and in. this closes the gap up on the wing root and also gave me the wings dihedral.

Plus you can see I got the canopy bits on!

050-Meteor-F4_zps5689292b.jpg

But Doh! The death dive comes back to haunt me where I had to patch these bits both sides…… the fit wasn't good so I will need to do a bit more FAF here :doh:

051-Meteor-F4_zps2111a88d.jpg

Back to the old one step forward two back. In trying to give the wings a bit of physical umfffffffff :fight:  to try and get the gap on the trailing edge as close as I could. i managed to ping off two of the tiny outlet port covers off of the engine nacelles - great :doh: ……….. so after hours of trying to retrieve these bits from the jaws of the plastic gobbling monster that hides under my desk - found one but the other?????? Gone Never To Be Seen Again - (until its to late and you are not looking for it!)

So I gave up and resorted to try and make one. Copying something I saw Derek B do I made a mould out of some Milliput. using Vas as my realise agent. Pushed it down on to the one I had managed to find. After this had all set off, the piece was carefully removed then with some more thin application of Vas another blob of Milliput was pushed into the female mould. Once this had hardened over night I pulled them apart, the vas doing its job.

This was cleaned up and shaped to make my male mould. this was then used to smash mould into some heated up thin plastic sheet.

052-Meteor-F4_zps3a28a9e1.jpg

took me a about three attempts before I was okay with one of them. A bit biger, but better then non at all!

I like this stage of builds because all those bits you made soooooooo loooooonnnngggg ago all seem to come together for rapid progress.

My home made Pitot Tube in place

053-Meteor-F4_zpsa747f6f2.jpg

The air intakes go on - Quite pleased with how these turned out

054-Meteor-F4_zps06dc75dc.jpg

Then at last a view of the Meatbox from the business end….. Cool :thumbsup:  I like hope you do?

056-Meteor-F4_zpsa9dd6f03.jpg

At last I moved into the paint stage - oh nothing can go wrong here now can it…….. :whistle:

My thinking for this stage is - as I am painting the roundels etc on with masks. So I will paint the base coat in white which will I hope give me a brighter finish to the silver plus I can put the white on for the roundels at this stage.

So I masked off the wells and bits. Stuffing some plastic radiator tubes up the jet outlets to hold her, I gave her a coat of Halford white primer.

This showed up some of the shoddy repair I had done on the top cracked seams resulting from the suicidal jump off of my desk. So back to rubbing and filling.  :crying:

Then what I thought was a touch up spray of white. I forgot about the overspray. The result was that any of the surface detail disappeared on the side and the inner wing. So after some more careful sanding and then hours rescribbing and poking out rivets. I got the detail back in, I decided not to prime these areas again. And to top it all I can still see that pesky seam on the spine!!!!!! :BANGHEAD2:

057-Meteor-F4_zpscaba3bf3.jpg

So having enough of the FaF here! I decided to risk it and move on - She my have to be a stay at home Gal - we will see how the rest of the painting turns out.

I next moved on to the Pre-shading, I mixed up some dirty brown for some areas and a light dirty grey for the others. I am hopping that once the top High Speed Silver is on that this all blends together and it just adds some texture, interest to otherwise flat areas.

Well thats my hope and plan - We will see! :rolleyes:

Also to mask off the roundel and fin flash areas I printed out my artworks and cut some slightly oversized paper masks to give me my white areas.

058-Meteor-F4_zpsc9799b0c.jpg

Uhmm I know she is looking a bit raggedy and dirty but I hope to knock this way - way - way - back which the HS Silver.

Paper masks off and I am quite please because if the White can knock my pre-shade back that much then there is hope for the Silver

059-Meteor-F4_zps0a5fd5b3.jpg

So hope you like the looks - I am! :D

Fingers crossed that there are no more fights on the final stages and I can pull her off!

So, as I have got my masks from Mal at Miracle Masks yesterday next time you see her she should be all dressed up in her HS Silver clothes - Cool!!!!!

Till next time - Have Fun - Taff :D