A Corsair for Bob

David Hansen

Well, after 18 Months, 2 moves, 2 Job Changes, a rear end hit-and-run, and a death in the family, El Corsair Grande Numero Dos is finished.

DH%20F4U2%20003_zpsabntb2oz.jpg

Most of you have been following the work in progress narrative, so i will skip most of the technical details here.

DH%20F4U2%20005_zpsvqlpkzcq.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20027_zps17armnrs.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20005_zpsvqlpkzcq.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20016_zpsrfztwhvc.jpg

I am still posting photos to the notoriously slow Photobucket, so once i get some more motivation i'll post another round of photos.

DH%20F4U2%20036_zpsnvg3bwe1.jpg

Thanks for shopping. Hope you likee!

-d-

I get a lot of questions about this one. Close ups of the antenna installation on the empennage.

DH%20F4U2%20013_zpsnwel8hu2.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20053_zpsrnro1kel.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20019_zpsrbxaestb.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20021_zpsrmpohbbi.jpg

Finally, a close up of the rudder. Yeah, i really did splice the Bu Aer Number to match Bob's plane. If you look closely you can see the hook and the rubber tensioner i made for the antenna attachment point.

DH%20F4U2%20022_zps9bbduaxc.jpg

I'll post some more pics later.

-d-

Close up of the antenna installation on the right horizontal stab. Due to lighting restrictions, photos of the right hand side of the model are not as good as photos taken of the left side. Sister in Law owns the photo studio. Her house, her rules.

DH%20F4U2%20006A_zpszonycik7.jpg

The attachment point is an HO Gauge Eye Bolt, with a .015 inside diameter ( i literally ran a .015 rod thru the hole to verify this). The elastic thread was double-tied off around this point, and then stretched to the tensioner, and then plugged into the antenna insulator fairing  behind the canopy.

DH%20F4U2%20010A_zpsoozaeqb2.jpg

Thankfully, this was the next-to-last thing i did. Rigging the antenna was easily the most fiddly part of this build.

DH%20F4U2%20040A_zpsdxnhlsph.jpg

-d-