1/32 A-10 sporting the 107th FS tribute scheme

b757captain

Hey guys,

It's been a while since posting anything - the whole PB mess really took the wind out of my sails for a while, but I finally got some mojo back. Between sailboat repairs I managed to finish a few models. My latest is the Trumpeter A-10 with the 107th FS 100th anniversary retro paint scheme.

When I first saw this scheme I was pretty jazzed and wanted to do it so when Speed Hunter Graphics came out with the decals I had to go for it. Unfortunately when the kit arrived I lost a lot of my enthusiasm! I built the Trumpy A-10 way back when it first came out but I guess I blocked memories of it, or maybe we've just gotten spoiled with the "modern era" kits. All I can say about the kit is - it's a little bit better than their Mig-15 or Mig-17 but not by much!

I knew from previous experience that the pit was pretty poor so I got the Avionix pit. it's not much better but it is better. I mixed and matched parts from it and used the Eduard printed instrument panels to cobble up something the would look halfway decent. I am far from any type of expert on the A-10 variants but I have read from other (much better!) builds that there is no way to adequately build an A-10C from the kit and available accessories. After looking at the armament provided in the kit it all went promptly into the trash! Seriously, the weapons provided are just garbage. I thought about raiding the spares box for some Tamiya goodies but all the photos of the airplane show no weapons hung so that's what I did. Problem solved! Another thing I remembered from my previous build was the fuselage at the wing box was weak and flexible so I braced the insides before adding the wings. Seems pretty strong now. I left the cannon out (why bother) and built the rest OOB cuz the focus is the paint scheme. Paints are MM and all the photos of the real thing show a clean airframe so I didn't add any weathering.

So here she sits:

CslktYE.jpg

pkXZMsI.jpg

1bxxnfg.jpg

xzdeb59.jpg

More pics to follow.

Cheers,

Mark

More pics:

P1jnOLZ.jpg

I had an audience during the photoshoot!

Khsxn5D.jpg

My audience was given some treats and retreated to a safe distance:

kio6YSF.jpg

pOIbWUQ.jpg

I trashed the resin engines provided by Trumpeter (pure fantasy on their part). Interestingly, they give some basic turbine faces for the tailpipes on one of the parts trees but never reference them in the instructions. I used them instead.

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark
Terrific build on a tough, old Trumpeter kit. So glad you crossed the line as the Hog looks so good and the scheme: aces for sure.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Peter

Edited by Peterpools