Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

One of the problems was that you couldn't switch tanks over. So if a tank was holed you had one other full tank that you couldn't use.

It was not a complete failure though. The engines were underdeveloped but if you look at the airframe how clean it is with very low

frontal surface and four 20mm cannon it packed quite a punch.

If the kit is in the correct price range... Could be a good donor kit for a what if with an engine with more power and/or one more stage in the supercharger.

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski

• 5 months later...

Just saw this now!!. I am in serious trouble wirg the Mrs next year it seems. I still have a spot on my shelf for the 1/24 Typhoon, one for the HKM 1/32 B17. How in in the world am I going to manage the Lanc (A MUST) and a whirlwind. 

I have a spare kidney, any takers?

When I spoke to one of the guys on the SH stand at Telford it was clear that they were well behind on their aspirations for this kit!

The model is in progress but I was informed that we should get the kit by late 2018.

There is also a possibility that the Whirlwind and the Typhoon could be released within a short time of each other.

Unless things have changed I suspect the other projects could be well behind the first two releases so don't hold your breath.

We'll see in due course?

Suits me fine! I've got enough to keep me going in the meantime and I have it on backorder at Hannants....currently without the spare cash to pay for it, so late next year is good by me.

Going to be an expensive build. It might upset the purists, but my Whirlwind is going to be a "What if". I already have two resin Griffons, some odds and sods from an Fw-190, Hellcat and Sea Fury waiting in the wings. It's going to be a lot of Frankenstein type fun! Bwwaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaa!  :wicked:

Looking forward to the early 2018 Whirlwind release

Peter

Hmmm... Maybe I will pull out my ID Models vacuum formed kit and (pretend to) work on it feverishly. The little swine is quite far along with all the really ugly areas purged and repaired. Maybe work on the cockpit will tip the cosmic Murphy's balance.

Rick

• 2 months later...

Sweet!   Im not understanding why the molds seem to have the odd upper and lower square-ish parts on the fuselage where the canopy should be, and where the wings go