Excellent restoration photos of P-47D 'Dottie Mae"

D.B. Andrus

I have mixed feelings about this... Austria very eagerly agreed to this recovery and export of this rare and valuable fighter aircraft. A testament to the political motivations of the Austrian government to slowly but surely erase all evidence of the Second World War (WWII/ZWK). I am alarmed at the efforts that this country goes to remove, deny, and erase the memories, scars and evidence in an effort to cleanse themselves of the guilt of participation. To deny history and the lessons of the past is to ensure that it repeats itself. It is illegal to search for and recover War Materials (Kriegsmaterial) without proper authorization from the government. About 1996/97 a Swiss recovery team was granted a 24 hour licence to search one of the smaller lakes close to my home here in Southern Austria and they found a completely intact Me-109E aircraft laying on it's back in the mud on the bottom of the lake. Local interviews with people who lived nearby revealed that in the early winter of '44 an Me-109E made an emergency landing on the ice due to engine troubles and the aircraft later sank (presumed fuel starvation).The local government denied the request from the Swiss recovery team to lift the aircraft using the excuse that the remaining fuel and oil in the aircraft would polute the upper layers of the lake. The true reasons were debated in the newspaper that certain government officials didn't want a NAZI aircraft making the local/international news - because it would confirm that Flugfeld Annabichl (Klagenfurt International Airport -KLU/LOWK) was originally a Luftwaffe fighter pilot training base during WWII/ZWK. Retired Me-109E's were sent to Flugfeld Annabichl from active service to be used here for fighter pilot training. So, in an effort to remove any evidence that Yes, WWII actually did happen and that Austria did actively participate in the War, Dottie Mae was allowed to be recovered, exported and removed from Austria.

The recovery looks to be coming along nicely and I'm very glad that she is receiving the TLC she deserves!

We can be glad that this recovery resulted in the export of the aircraft to the USA and didn't end up being scrapped by the government after being seized and declared as an illegal possesion of War Material.

Cheers

Alan