1/24 Hawker Sea Fury ? Airfix ?

jpchagnon

I have heard from a credible source that Airfix's next 1/24th scale release is going to be a F4U Corsair.

When I say credible, he has contacts at Airfix and was correct when he whispered in my ear the releases of the 1/72nd Lancaster and Shackleton, the B-25 and also the Spey Phantom...

The only interesting rumour I've seen regarding Airfix is that they're planning something special for the RAF's centenary, which will be in April.

If that's true, a big scale FAA Corsair seems unlikely, at least for next year.

The only interesting rumour I've seen regarding Airfix is that they're planning something special for the RAF's centenary, which will be in April.

Interesting, wonder if they are planning on just announcing something or actually releasing something for April?

They announced the Typhoon in November and that was supposed to be out in June but was late....

I would be VERY surprised if something being released in April was currntly completely off the radar...

I keep hearing rumbles of a new 1/72 Vulcan, which only makes sense, since they've done a Valiant and a Victor.

I'd be quite happy with that, providing it's an improvement on the mid-80s kit. I really can't fault that original Airfix Vulcan shapewise, so greater finesse is about all that can be added to it.

Having said that, I'm heartily sick of some modern kits that seem to be three steps backwards when perfectly adequate older kits just needed minor updating.

I'm thinking of the various incarnations of the Panavia Tornado here, an aircraft so ubiquitous in Western Europe for almost 40 years yet very poorly served with possibly two honourable exceptions.

If this is true, then you would think that any such announcement would be in relation to the most iconic of RAF fighters, which would make it either the Hurricane, or Spitfire, or even both.  My take on that is that the Airfix Hurricane is still a pretty good kit and doesn't need updating anything like as much as the Airfix Spitfire does.  This and their Messerschmitt 109 are both long overdue for a thorough overhaul.  Further, I have seen on some seller's sites that the old Spitfire is being retired, which would suggest that a highly detailed Spitfire is in line to be their next release.  Since Tamiya have the late war Merlin powered versions covered, I would hope that Airfix do a Mk I or II, or even a MkV.   Failing that, there are no decent Griffon powered Spitfires around, so a Mk XIV (14) would be great too.

A Corsair would be great too, but in terms of the RAF, it's hardly iconic.  Again, Tamiya have that well covered.  Similarly, a Sea Fury is not iconic in terms of the RAF.

It's all speculation, of course, and whether it's a Spitfire, Hurricane, BF-109, Tempest or Sea Fury, I will almost certainly be buying one.  I'm really enjoying my Typhoon build and another 1/24 release to this standard would be exceptional.  If it's a Spitfire, I'm definitely buying.  As an Englishman, nothing else tugs on the emotions like that plane does.

Cheers,

Michael

I honestly think Airfix would be crazy not to release a Spitfire IX with maybe a later low-back XVI as a later edition (Typhoon car-door style) to modern standards. We must all have an early Spit somewhere that can be cannibalised to provide a shorter nose if an earlier version is wanted. Think of the conversion possibilities if a few rudders and wing-tips were to be included. Money in the bank Airfix! Are you listening! 

I thought Airfix had said a couple of years ago pretty definitively that they weren't going to be doing any more 1/24 scale stuff?  

No offense intended, but I sincerely hope you're wrong about that.

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55