Eduard 1/72 F6F-3 Hellcat

CANicoll

Kevin,  I highly recommend this kit.  The cockpit PE is just enough to feel like you had to work it but not overwhelming, the engine benefits from some detail as well but is mostly covered so no sense on going to town on it, and then the color schemes can be fun to work the paint from.  Plus, it won't take you a week to get it all done!

Chris

Chris,

Now that's one really nice F6F-3 Hellcat for sure. Still don't know how you felt comfortable with, or able to work in 1/72 after spending so much time with LSP. I couldn't even see those small parts now. As my Brother said, the cockpit, IP, and Seatbelts and harnesses look fantastic.  Very well done my friend.

As you noted yourself, the upper blue is too bright. The actual color was ANA 608. the closest FS number is 35164:

8ALDF8.jpg

still one really nice build. :thumbsup:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Verrrrrrry nice work and in such small scale!!! I've got the Eduard 1/48 kit and have a Wolfpack wing folding kit to go with it. It's been a long time since I've painted anything in the Pacific blue colors but builds like this make me want to bust out that blue stuff once again. I've used EZ line in the past but the more I practice with stretched sprue the more I stray from EZ line. Nice work on this beauty Chris.

Joel, Peter and Mustang - thanks so much for the kinds words!!  These Eduard kits are so nice to put together - its like building a Tamiya Merlin engine.  :)   And the profi-pack adds a bit of color photo-etch which really makes the cockpit pop.  

I've not done a lot of Navy planes so my poor research led me astray ( that and doing a few fantastically colorful WWI birds! ).  Oh well!  I actually picked up a 1/72 Tamiya Spit Mk. Vb (for $10!) and a 1/48 Revell B-26 Marauder with resin wheels/tires and vacuum canopy and turret (also for $10!).  Believe it or not, I could not sell my Tamiya P-51D 1/32 for $120 (a vendor had the kit for $180 - must have been on drugs!!).

Sadly, at our big model event today my Hellcat didn't get judged.  They had to split the 1/72 category twice, and for some reason my two entries ( also the Helldiver ) and someone else's US marked plane was left in the 'Other' category instead of being moved to the US category.  I was so busy doing pictures I didn't notice the miss and when I did, they had already finished judging. Oh well!

I appreciate the comments and will let you know when I get started on the Spit.  I'm really tempted to do a 1/72 Kingfisher and if there is a two-color scheme I'll get it right!