1/32 A-6E Intruder Decals?

DoogsATX

hi Sir, doesn't Trumpy -E kit include this feature? What changes are needed? thanks.

No, they provide only the original metal wing. The composite wing started coming around only in the 90s (Desert Storm aircraft in 1991 still had the original wing). Composite wing would need a new wingfold bulge and the accompanying pylon under it that was enlarged.

edit.... Tommy's page has a good summary with picss:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/01/grumman-6-wing-fold-differences.html

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/01/grumman-6-wing-fold-differences-part-2.html

Edited by ziggyfoos

We need to love the Zotz and AOA sheets already in print as that's all there is going to be (although Caracal had one on their list of futures). The decal market is likely already completely saturated in 1/32 scale. And everyone has their (differing) favourites. For me, an A-6E has to be LGG over gloss white with VA-35 Panther tails on USS Nimitz, or this Boomer...

imagejpg1-58.jpg

USN photo. Original wing fold/wing design.

If a modeller is mainly driven by specific colour schemes, 1/48 scale offers the required diversity, and relative ease and speed of construction to rapidly advance to the decorative stage, and to accomplish that in multiples.

The 1/32 Trumpeter Intruder is such a complex kit that I would go as far to say that - with the exception of unusual one-offs like the green Boomer, above - it needs to be finished as a "white tail" with regular factory or depot markings first (with accurate mods for its subtype and era), then the decision made as to the unit markings to be applied.

Tony

Funny, to me that green VA-165 camo scheme is the worst looking A-6 (different strokes, different folks, and all). At least for that green scheme with such minimal markings it would be easy to do with only paint masks.

I know Dave Roof posted a while back on LSP here that he was doing all USMC squadrons that would include E's.

I don't think Caracal ever announced which schemes were supposed to be on his 1/32 sheet.

I'd love to do more A-6 sheets but as has been said the interest in the big A-6 is somewhat lacking. Maybe if/when some more resin comes out it will be renewed.

A-6A/E is very eyecatching with a blue (or red or black) tail IMHO

anyone knows if it has ever wear colourful side bands as this ones?

3_15.jpg

Edited by Luca

hi Ziggy, I was asking for similar (coloured) side bands

Nothing that I recall to the extent of that VA-65 scheme. The closest I can think of offhand for A-6s that have relatively large colored fuselage markings (other than tanker bands) would be VA-52's blue lance (Zotz has this 1/32) or VMA-AW-533's 1969 big black hawk (AOA has this in 1/32). Both of those are A-6A variants though.

Edited by ziggyfoos

The closest I can think of offhand for A-6s that have relatively large colored fuselage markings (other than tanker bands) would be VA-52's blue lance (Zotz has this 1/32)

you mean the thin blue swords? mmm I mean something bigger... the red arrows above on the VA-65 birds are big enough but I do not like too much the design and the red is too orangish...

I have to admit that there are not many colorful livery for the A-6A to choose which  :( VMA (AW)-224 blue tailed is my favourite at the moment but it's an E variant not an A...

which are your favourite liveries/schemes for the A version guys? any suggestions? thanks.

Edited by Luca

you mean the thin blue swords? mmm I mean something bigger...

Yes the thin blue lances. Bigger is the VMA-AW-533 black stylized hawk second example I mentioned (though the tail is plain). I don't think there are any larger for an A-6A or E other than that VA-65 one.

533a.jpg

...the red is too orangish...

It's orangish because it's orange, not red.

I find that scheme VA-65 scheme very gaudy for my taste. I agree with Lothar, 533's schemes are my personal favorite (specifically the scheme in his pic with the striped rudder and large white hawk, which is an A).

Like Tony said earlier, you may have to go 1/48 to get the E scheme you really want or get a custom decal/mask made up or pick any of the existing A decals that may be passable for you of course.

Edited by ziggyfoos

you may have to go 1/48 to get the E scheme you really want or get a custom decal/mask made up or pick any of the existing A decals that may be passable for you of course.

Question when you say get a custom decal/mask made up do you mean at home do it yourself with the right sort of paper or do U mean people/company that does one off custom decals if so would you know of any that you can mention

Thanks

thanks guys for the suggestions... it's just my humble opinion of course, but I think that the FS16440 "catch" better the blue or black on the tail (overall), while the TPS scheme "catch" better the white friezes on the tail (like that hawk).

VA-65 scheme is too glittering to me, do not like those orange black bordered stripes on the tail...

Edited by Luca