AFV Club ROCAF F-16B Block 20

BloorwestSiR

I thought with all the F-16s being built, I would add one more to the mix:

IMG_20140204_180356.jpg

I bought this shortly after it came out. It is primarily the Academy plastic with some new resin parts. Although not 100% accurate, I plan to build it OOB.

Carl

AFV Club primarily do 1/35 armour kits. They have recently branched out into aircraft but mostly 1/48 stuff and usually with some sort of connection to Taiwan as that's where they're based. They have re-boxed Academy kits on occasion but with new bits added like this kit.

Their most recent 1/32 announcement is a new tool F-104 (and not a re-box of the Italeri one).

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Always thought they were armor guys and some smaller scale aircraft. Nice to see a new company in 32nd scale upgrade the Academy kit.

Looking forward to following the build

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks for looking in.

Ooh this has already got MY attention...

Good Luck ..Will be back to see more of your build.

:thumbsup:

Hi Maru,

Thanks, I'm hoping to be able to finish it in time for the deadline. I've got an interesting problem that I'm trying to work out which will either let me make that target or miss it completely  :hmmm:

Always thought they were armor guys and some smaller scale aircraft. Nice to see a new company in 32nd scale upgrade the Academy kit.

Looking forward to following the build

Keep 'em coming

Peter

You're right, Peter. Their primary focus has been 1/35 armour and more recently, 1/48 aircraft but this is their first 1/32 kit. They also have a RSAF F-16 kit which also uses the Academy plastic. I think that kit is the only source currently for an ACMI pod. 

This one is pretty much the Sufa kit with the additional resin bits.

Carl

A small update. I have painted the cockpit tub and seats in the main shade of grey:

IMG_20140211_130626.jpg

I plan to use the kit seats for now and maybe down the road, I'll consider replacing them. 

While the paint was drying, I got to work filling some ejector pin marks in the gear bay and on the burner can petals:

IMG_20140211_130705.jpg

Next up was the intake and the seam down it. I debated gluing the front and rear sections together into upper and lower halves, but decided that the seam would be too long and curved to fill properly so I have followed the instructions  :mental:and done in two sections. Here is the rear section with a coat of Mr Surfacer 500 filling in the seam:

IMG_20140211_130723.jpg

And now the problem. I just picked up a new weekend job which will mean I will have close to zero build time at my primary workbench. This is where I build most/all of my LSP kits as I have plenty of space as well as a spray booth and compressor. Most of my tools and kits are here too. This is in the basement of my parents' house. I was fortunate enough to have them let me set it up when I was living in a condo at the time. Last year, my wife and I bought a house which has a small basement but the ceiling is low and it's not finished. I have managed to set up a small workbench there but can't do any painting, just building. Recently, I picked up a second air compressor so I am going to try and set something up a little bit more practical so I can paint here. That way, I will be able to get in more building time once our boys are asleep.

So, hopefully next week we'll see some greater progress on this.

Carl

...looks like tough work on that intake...

I thought so too at first, but I decided to try a technique I read about on here. I put a coat of Mr. Surfacer 500 down and once it was dry, I went over it with a Q-tip dipped in Tamiya lacquer thinner. By rubbing it down with the Q-tip, it removes most of the Mr. Surfacer and minimises the amount of sanding needed. The small bit of sanding I did with some thin sanding sticks. I'll try to get some pics up shortly.

As for the ejection seats, I ended up ordering them from Hannents as their shipping was cheaper. Still trying to figure that one out. So they're on the way as we speak.

Carl