Tamiya A6M5 Zero

LSP_Kevin

Before I get any further in this thread and this post, I'd like to dedicate this build to David Jones (LSP_Dave) and Russell Camp (ruzlkampf), for generosity above and beyond the call of duty (I think they call it friendship).

Some of you will be aware of my ongoing rebuild of the Revell Zero in the Members' Builds forum. Those of you who were aware that I had the Tamiya example in the stash have been quietly questioning my sanity, and extending the odd subtle prod in its direction. Well, the Tamiya kit and this Group Build were made for each other, so out it comes. But, a part of me is fully aware that once I've tasted Tamiya, it'll be difficult reverting to Revell. So, I've decided to resurrect the Revell build and attempt to build them in tandem. :blink: This, along with my Sea Venom for the Carrier Aircraft GB, should be enough to kill me by year's end.

Anyway, a couple of obligatory box shots to get things rolling.

Outside:

post-3071-1221479264.jpg

Inside:

post-3071-1221479273.jpg

This is without doubt one of the best plastic kits I've ever seen, narrowly pipping the Trumpeter 262 for best in stash. Those of you who know my builds will already be aware that I have the skills and temperament to make it seem like something from Combat. Stay tuned and pack your F-words - I'll be bringing mine!

Kev

Excellent! Glad to see this one moving to the top of the pile.

I think you'll find that it has very little fight in it so the F-bombs will be few and far between. :blink: The little metal springs for the LG doors can be tricky but beyond that it just jumps together. The only worry I have for you with this build is that it's so nice and easy that you might lose interest! You do seem to like a challenge after all.... :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I can't actually prove it with photographic evidence yet, I have started this one finally! Just spraying the fuselage interiors and generally studying the instructions and whatnot. Everything people say about how brilliant this kit is, is absolutely spot-on. The detail, and attention to detail, is amazing. The instructions are so comprehensive they even have their own ISBN!

More soon...with photos!

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thought I'd better update this thread before Dave calls in the GB police to arrest me for fraud! Progress has been slow as I attempt to work on my Revell Zero concurrently with this one. Let's just say that the Revell kit needs more work. :)

Anyway, still working on the cockpit:

post-3071-1225686924.jpg

post-3071-1225686937.jpg

post-3071-1225686945.jpg

At this stage I just need to finish the detail painting, get a gloss coat on, and then do the wash, followed by a flat coat and some dry brushing.

Kev

Thanks guys.

Russ - not sure how much you'll see in the end, so I haven't bothered with washes and dry brushing for the stuff inside the fuselage. Cockpit has had the treatment though, and is looking quite good. It has taken me days of work to get there however, as the Tamiya cockpit has more parts than the entire Revell kit!

Matt - it's a great kit, no doubt. Probably one of the best scale model aircraft kits ever produced. Parts count and engineering seem daunting at first, but so far everything has just snapped together. Even the bits I've broken off have slotted right back into place. :D

More photos soon.

Kev

OK, another update. My battery charger took a long walk off a short pier about the same time as the batteries died in my camera, so I've been waiting to sort that out before posting again. Anyway, things have moved along nicely with the cockpit, and even I'm impressed for a change.

The IP builds itself and gives incredible results:

post-3071-1226120069.jpg

The cockpit itself snaps together without any problems, despite the amazing detail and high parts-count:

post-3071-1226120021.jpg

post-3071-1226120034.jpg

post-3071-1226120044.jpg

post-3071-1226120053.jpg

It's taken me over a week to paint, weather and assemble that lot!

Kev