Hasegawa P-40 E

This is really coming along nicely! It is a pretty nice looking model, I am definitely going to have to get one!

D is right about the wheels, the E had the wheel covers as well as the smooth tires. On my P-40 site under models, Rodney Williams really detailed out a Revell E and also has some pretty good detail photos of the real aircraft as well as drawings of parts that he did for the model, Brian has his K on there as well, two great models that are really good reference material.

Chris, why did I not know of this build?!! This is fantastic. I love what you are doing. The kit seems to be really nice and it also looks pretty accurate. Great work as usual. Fantastic paintwork and detailing. Keep it up and keep those pics coming. By the way that was a great job you did on the windscreen in removing that extra frame. No one can ever tell it was there.

GREAT WIP........showing parts before assembly, mock-ups, painted, detailed, etc is super.

So many WIP's show the finished product and that's it....... rather than a step by step as you have done.

You did such a fantastic job, how about a quick run down on how you removed that canopy framework.

Thanks

Hi Firecaptain,

thanks for the kind words! smile.gif
Here is how i removed the wrong frame on the windscreen:

I first thought, the frame was done as a raised panel line. That would be easy to remove. Of course it was not, but finely engraved. dry.gif So i took a half round scalpell balde and scratched carefully along the frame till it was gone. After that i used MasterCasters Sanding Sticks to polish it again. Then i took a polish fluid (for cell phone [or Handy, like we say here] displays from the electronic market) and polished it a bit more by using a cotton stick. The secret was, to polish the complete left and right window, as the part already was diped into FUTUTRE, that means it becomes milky first when polishing. The last step was to dip it into FUTUTRE again. Et voila, there it is. smile.gif It took me over an houre though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Chris

Great mini tutorial on how to remove those frames, sounds easy enough to do.

Would love to have some pictures of your progress and the finished plane for my site if you don't mind, I also have a section on my new message board for models. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

MURPH! Missing brother, where have you been that long? Thanks for the kind words mate! :rolleyes:

And here we go with the next update:

The fuselage has been glued together. The cockpit can be fitted into after this, even though the instructions say something different.

036-2.jpg

037-2.jpg

The joining gap was filled with thick paint and then sanded smooth.

038-2.jpg

The cockpit is done, minus the wash which will follow next. Notice the Eduard placards which were actually for a Corsair.

039-3.jpg

040-2.jpg

041-2.jpg