A Pattern of Tamiya's WWII Subjects

Uncarina

It's a great book; i had the big bound volume, and some of the individual titles for many years. Beautiful artwork and line drawings. Not sure how accurate they were but.... those big F6F illustrations had a powerful effect on me.

-d-

Yep, apparently, the "Big Book" was just a compilation of the individual volumes, and the artwork still appeals to me to this day. My other favorite from "back in the day", is "Great Fighter Aircraft", in this photo, far left. Both this and The Great Book, were purchased used, many, many years ago, and represent two of the very first books that I ever purchased, setting the stage for a lifetime of aviation related book purchasing that has lasted until this day.

ehjiYg.jpg

So here's the list with completed projects crossed out:

P-38 Lightning

P-51 Mustang
B-17 Flying Fortress
F6 Hellcat
F4U Corsair
Spitfire
Mosquito
Lancaster
Bf-109
FW-190
Ju-87 Stuka
A6 Zero

That leaves:

P-38 Lightning

B-17 Flying Fortress
F6 Hellcat
Lancaster
Bf-109
FW-190
Ju-87 Stuka

For obvious reasons, we can further cross out the B-17 and Lancaster

That leaves

P-38 Lightning
F6 Hellcat
Bf-109
FW-190
Ju-87 Stuka

Of this, I think we will see the Bf-109 or FW 190 next, as a German subject for their new 1/32 super-treatment is long overdo.

After that, and working with the above list, I'd love to see a Stuka, Hellcat, and most of all, the P-38.

A Tamiya Super Treatment of the P-38 in 1/32 would be totally cool.

commercial_5.jpg

It is no conincidence as to content of the book and Tamiya 1/32 subjects. Simply because any book on the most important planes of WWII at least from a Western perspective will be in a book of that sort. I have books on WWII planes also that have all of those planes in it. I would also agree that most of those are most likely candidates for future 1/32 releases. My only quibble with that list is the Stuka. I don't think that will get done by Tamiya in 1/32.

At the same time there are 1/32 subjects that might get done by them which are not on that list. So we will see. A P-47 is highly likely yet it is not on the list. I think a P-40B is possible but is not on that list. Hawker Hurricane is realistic as well. I am sure there are several other iconic planes of WWII that we can come up with that are financially viable and realistic. It is not enough that the planes is a personal favorite of a few of us. It has to be something Iconic that will have mass market appeal. If you want something risky by Tamiya it is normally going to come in 1/48 or smaller.

Yep, apparently, the "Big Book" was just a compilation of the individual volumes, and the artwork still appeals to me to this day. My other favorite from "back in the day", is "Great Fighter Aircraft", in this photo, far left. Both this and The Great Book, were purchased used, many, many years ago, and represent two of the very first books that I ever purchased, setting the stage for a lifetime of aviation related book purchasing that has lasted until this day.

ehjiYg.jpg

I have several of those books you have there. My copy of Great book of WWII Airplanes has unfortunately fallen apart.

My unicorn says it's not likely.

My unicorn says your chances of a new 1/24 Mustang with 4 wheels from Tamiya is far more realistic than a 1/24 airplane for which I think the odds are just about zero. In other words the only thing 1/24 coming out of Tamiya is going to have wheels, tires and breaks, wings will be for down force only, not lift.