A-10B Desert Storm: 2/28 Taking a break

EmperorKai

Mark, Peter- thanks for the kind words. I'm generally pretty good at finishing my current build before starting another, but this one has been going for 4 months, and its been hard to not get distracted lately. It's so easy to get fired up over a another kit when there are so many awesome builds going on here at LSP. I usually catch my second wind at paint and decals, so just need to get to that point.

It means alot when when you folks check in on my build- helps keep me on track. :)

Thanks again!

Kai

Great progress Kai, been some time for me checking in, but just more to see I guess!

How will you address the single point refueling receptacle-system from the port sponson?

And as far as A-10 colors including interior, all are given by FS # in the Detail & Scale's

"Colors and Markings" of the A-10 Warthog. The one with Desert Storm "Peanut" on the cover.

Yes, the Landing gear bays are glossy gray, the gear used to be, but as original parts were used,

(through the 80's, and 90's, contract and Depot parts were painted typical white. By the time I started

crewing Hogs in the early 90's, there would be a mix of gray and white Landing gear/components.

This could also occur within the wheelbays. Around this time there were also mixed colors on weapons,

so for instance, a Maverick could have a green rear section with a gray front. Great stuff for us modellers.

Keep at it, another pretty Hog to see out there!       Erik.

Awesome info as always- Thanks for looking in Erik!  Sounds like I'm in the right ballpark for colors, so I won't sweat that.  Interesting 'bout the landing gear though it makes perfect sense.  I'll probably go with with same approach with the landing gear- somewhere in between white and light gray.  I figure all in all it will look the part when it finally comes together.  :)

Kai

Looking AWESOME Kai,

I was distracted a few days ago about the FLIR sponson and a FLIR pod?   I was going to throw out a suggestion of modifying the FLIR sponson

with a FLIR moving head similar to the pods head. If that makes sense.  Figuring this A/C would have had a year or two to take a modified head built-in

to keep the weapons pylons free and reduce drag of a pod.

I love this

watch'in you :hmmm:

jack

Jack- Thanks!  I thought alot about that too, and at one point was looking how I would go about doing that.  But as I thought through the feasibility (from my very un-expert perspective) I got hung up on two key points:

• Would the electronics all fit into the space provided by the sponson extension?
  • How would the FLIR be used between two crewman with different jobs?

2252261998_715e6d5daa_b%20LITENING%20II%

The issue of size really hit me when I was comparing the LANTIRN pod to the amount of space I was building into the sponson extension, and it just didn't look like it would all fit.  Even by 1991 standards, the LANTIRN pod appeared to require more space that be available in a "reasonably" extended sponson.  The thought did cross my mind to simply make it longer, but I didn't want to get too carried away. 

lantirnTAR_zpsdn0bfht2.gif

So I started considering whether a non-moving head with just the FLIR functionality would fit, and at least in my mind, this seemed reasonable.

In the original article that inspired this project, it mentions some of the contention between the WSO and pilot in regards to using the FLIR functionality.  While flying along at night, possibly in and out of terrain and bad weather, the pilot is using the FLIR to keep them in the air.  Meanwhile, the WSO also needs it to find, identify, designate the target and guide precision munitions onto it.  The article speaks of the pilot switching over the the LLTV system while the WSO used the FLIR, but if anything, this emphasized the need for a separate system.

Since incorporating the LANTIRN pod into the extension would still leave this resource contention unresolved, I figured a simplified but dedicated FLIR for the pilot in the sponson and the LANTIRN pod hung separately for the WSO made the most sense.  

npod1_zpsabgcetmf.gif

The radar navigation system was also a bit of a problem in that (as provided for the F-15 and F-16) it has an asymmetrical mounting that is really optimized for the curved contours of their intakes.  I wasn't able to find any evidence for any provision for a pylon mounted version.  The nav functionality also didn't have the same contention issue, and is smaller, so packing it into a similarly sized sponson extension on the left seemed relatively straightforward.

IMG_9816_600_zps0odnujgu.jpg

Regardless, both sponson extensions would be pretty packed, and there would need to be provision for easy access to the electronics. I started scribing one of the extensions this morning.  Still rough...

IMG_9819_600_zpsodjmt7o1.jpg

The idea behind my panel lines on the extensions are that their would be four doors that opened to provide lots of access to the internal components.  Here, a very crude representation of how the doors would open...

This is certainly one of those topics where I wish we were in the same room together and could simply converse.  Prior to jumping in on the extensions, I went back and forth with this over and over in my head, and this is the rationale I ended up settling on.

9_600_zpstinuuglc.jpg

I also noticed just a bit ago that I failed to answer Erik's question on the refueling receptacle (tip to self: don't respond to posts on an iPad while lying in bed half asleep).  I went round-and-round with this too, so I'll mention it here as well.  Normally, of course, the refueling receptacle is located on the front face of the left sponson.  With the extension, this would'nt be possible.

6_600_zpseg6wny8o.jpg

My idea was to simply relocate it to the outboard side of the sponson, and will be scribing in an access panel accordingly (the inboard side seemed a little tight).  Again, a crude representation here with the panel in red (too small here, but you get the gist of it).

IMG_9729_600_zps7rador1k.jpg

Here is an earlier pic in which the fuel line leads to a housing that would provide the same interface for the refueling receptacle (on the side) as was originally located on the front face.

Not sure what would have actually happened with this inevitable issue- the article never got close to talking about this.  

Speculative but reasonable is my goal, and hopefully I'm at least in the neighborhood   :)

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

You have the marbles rumbling on this speculation, but no need to get too concerned here. Not only is it a plastic model, but you aren't getting paid as an engineer!

With the Port having dual function, any way it would've had one side enlarged back to the LE of the wing? Like a bulge along the side so some components could be located in the Leading Edge panels? Although the AOA for the engine slats is there, only other components are the hyd. lines and cables in the LE.

BTW, any good reference you find/found of the original N/AW pods would be Super useful for me as I have to scratchbuild them...

L@@king good!

Actually I think you are building the neighborhood, Kai

From my un-expert perspective, my thought was take the smaller FLIR from the nav pod and not have the terrain-following radar,

for the pilot in the port sponson.  Thinking it wouldn't interfere with the single point refueling and put  the moving FLIR in the starboard

sponson.  Not having seen the article you are working from, I was not aware of the pilot/ WSO fight for the FLIR, but figured the one

from the NAV Pod would be small enough to work.  Of course the pilots used the night vision goggles to good effect during DS.

This is one of the reasons I love What-if modeling, come up with a believable story line and build toward it. The research and constraints

of time period should keep things in perspective. ( no AMRRAM's on P-51's)  Kinda like my Arabian Vixen or F-112G "Wild Weasel" (US buys the TSR-2

not the F-111). 

Some of the FLIR pod components like power supply would come from the plane and  some of the electronics' be mounted elsewhere in the plane.

Have to forgive me as I've had a few, and may not make much sense.

I have to post some pics in the NOT-LSP  of the Scorpion.   I need something besides another 32nd to enter in our show on the 14 of March

watch'in you  :piliot: :piliot:

jack

Erik, Jack- thanks guys!  Some really cool ideas there- I'm lovin' it.  I don't feel quite so crazy :)

There are some key concepts that you guys brought up that I'd really like to run with for a bit

Incorporating both FLIR systems into the same sponson- with a ball turret on the nose of the sponson, and a bulged housing built out on side, I think this makes alot of sense.  And freeing up a pylon has alot of appeal. 

Power supply- Since they are no longer podded, the FLIR (and nav) systems would obtain their power from the aircraft's systems.  This never occured to me, but Jack, you are so right, and it seems so obvious in retrospect.  That would help alot with volume issues. 

With your ideas in mind, I played with some possibilities

IMG_9825_600_zpsrkdxkcef.jpg

Here's ~most~ of the FLIR LANTIRN pod from the F-15E in comparison to the sponson as it sits right now.  The ball turret could replace the fixed faceplate that is currently on there, and in doing so, the WSO's FLIR and targeting would be represented.  The pod would no longer need to be mounted on the pylon.

IMG_9828_600_zpspdbrixjb.jpg

Here is the nav LANTIRN pod, also from the F-15E.  The box like upper portion contains the FLIR that I presume is used by the pilot.  

IMG_9831_FLIR%20600_zpszkot4cqs.jpg

Here is a top view of the sponson with the ball on the front and a separate housing built out for the pilot's FLIR.  I initially drew it on the inboard side with the thought that it wouldn't be interfered with as much with a Maverick launch from the pylon on the outboard side of the sponson.  Not sure how big of an issue this would really be though...

IMG_9829_FLIR%20600_zpsanx5poho.jpg

A side view, from the inboard side  with the ball (which would be embedded in the front) and an approximate outline of the pilot FLIR housing.

IMG_9818_FLIR%20600_zpshirhnxjx.jpg

Same idea from the front with an approximation of the window.  

IMG_9829_FLIR%20top%20600_zpsvfshnqms.jp

And lastly, same idea, but with the housing built out on TOP of the sponson instead of the side.  The more I think about it, the more this makes sense.  

• Should still be protected from Maverick launches
  • Gets it up off the ground that much more- a big plus for rough field / FOD
  • Access to the electronics could still be provided from both sides of the sponson.

I suppose there's no reason why this couldn't go on either sponson, but by incorporating on the starboard sponson with the targeting FLIR, they could potentially share components or resources.

I have also thought a bit about the eventual ILS that was mounted on the A-10C.  No reason why that couldn't be incorporated onto one of the sponsons as well (like the pilot FLIR or as a bullet housing on the leading edge).  Again, I was a little bit shy, thinking I might be getting a little outlandish there.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this- I'm at a point where now's good time to change it  :)

Erik- One last note, I don't have that much on the NAW pods, but I'll send everything I have.  I'll send you a PM.

Thanks!

Kai