Spitfire MkXIV

post-4413-1212891395.jpg

Not sure if the "DW" is in front/or behind the roundel on starboard side(I've had it both ways a couple of times now! :lol: ), but this is how it's turned out, and I'm sticking with it.

Can't wait to paint the spinner black. Will make it much more aggressive looking...and gives the illusion of being longer. Not having the sky fuse band enhanced the "length" of the tail, making it appear longer & sleeker. Tried out some artists oils for the oil stains on the underside, andit turned out better than expected. :lol: Working on a mix for a satin/semi-gloss/almost-flat finish that I hope doesn't bubble the paint job. Also figuring out a way to mount my drop tank so it can be removed. Almost done now, and I'm heading down the back-stretch toward completion. Later, Russ

post-4413-1212892856.jpg

I agree with Ron, Russ - something to be proud of indeed. You've shown exceptional patience and determination (not to mention skill) in bringing this one to fruition, and the results are truly awesome. You've also produced something that few other modellers would have, so it's that bit more special too. Well done man! Now, bring it over the finish line.

Kev

Wow!, thanks for the responses gentlemen. :lol: I can't wait to do another Mk.XIV, CORRECTLY. I've been messing this build up from the 2nd day, when I found out I was doing the wrong mark! :lol: I've been learning a lot since I started, thanks to all the help I've received from the forum. My latest flirt with disaster/new experiment has been a "witches brew" I concocted for an acrylic satin finish. Didn't get quite enough shine to it, but at least it all emulsified and didn't craze/spider-web/bubble/spontaneously combust/or stain my sink. ;) Really bizarre, cause it didn't even go on "wet". As I was spraying it, the surface just "turned flat" without any visible signs of application. MAGIC! SCIENCE! Must have been pretty "aromatic stuff" to just poof on like that. Wish I knew what all the stuff was, most of it had oriental writing all over it....but I was assured by the LHS that it was all water based. Hope my model hasn't dissolved by morning. :lol:

Got the spinner painted black, pitot tube on, rod aerial under the strbrd. wing,tires "flattened", and some more chipped paint. All is sealed with my "magic' coat of what-ever it was, and ready for final weathering. REALLY dreading the exhaust stains, but I've got some acrylics in colors I think a lean mixture would make...and I'm taking some time to practise. Here's the latest. I don't know why, but I get the biggest kick outta the red ascot on the pilot. :huh:

post-4413-1212983748.jpg

OOOOhhhh, I don't want to spray the exhaust stains :angry: I just know I'll screw them up, but this is just a big blank page on the side of the fuse, squeaking,"paint me,..paint me". Is there a phobia for painting exhaust stains? :lol: Arrghh.

post-4413-1212984052.jpg