Hasegawa F6F-3/5 Hellcat...

Shaka HI

Guest Peterpools

Shaka

Nice work on the priming - smooth and very well done. While I do like to build .. painting is my favorite part of any build and scribing the least.

Looking good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Torben..noticed you haven't been on for awhile. Hope's all's well in your world.

All good thx Shaka - just busy with that stuff called life.

Creeping forward with the Airacobra and will share more anon.

Torben

• 2 weeks later...

Moderators, please move this to the "Clear The Shelf of Doom" GB...

Progress/motivation is super slow..so I thought I just do a silver coat/clear coat/color coat/chipping/clear coat this evening to make some kind of progress. I don't know if this is accurate at all, but I don't mind any type of constructive input. I think the blue is just right (Tamiya-blend). Clear is Tamiya, thinned with lacquer thinner (which dries hard/fast, do love this mix save for the STINK)!

I'll be adding washes/filters/additional pencil chipping/scratches to see if I get the desired look from just the cowling. If not I'll strip and redo it!

cQrO5ZZ.jpg

Love it, Shaka ... I couldn't say if the colour or the chipping is strictly accurate, but to me it looks great. 

Re the stink with the lacquer thinner - do you wear a respirator? I'm no biochemist, but I believe it's strongly advisable when spraying lacquers (which I do all the time).

Cheers
Jim

I like what i see so far. I would say, go no further with the silver, and maybe go over some of the silver areas with yellow zinc chromate primer.

The surface looks nice and smooth to my eye, but perhaps a bit too glossy. If i were you, once decalling is done, i'd tone down the shininess somewhat. The planes came off the line fairly glossy but even when new they didn't have a showroom-slick finish. The finish knocked down to something between a high gloss and a semi gloss fairly quickly once exposed to the elements.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. But again, i am encouraged by the progress.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the Dark Sea Blue you came up with? I'm curious.

-d-

Edited by David Hansen

Looks pretty darn good to me Shaka! Load up that air brush and finish her up.... :thumbsup:

Oh and don't be sniffing that Tamiya paint toooo long......makes you lose your motivation in what you are doing.... :)

Dan

Edited by Daniel460

Thanks for the comments, chaps! David, the blue's base is XF-17, with drops of white and red (can't recall how much...I just add a bit, spray, let it dry and see what it ends up at, then repeat). To my eyes, the color feels too dark and a bit too green. It's glossy because I sprayed another coat of gloss after chipping to prep for a wash. Ya, I know about the primer as well -- I'll strip and redo the cowling after experimenting with some Mig filters on it.

Jim, I do have mask/respirator, but find it clumsy when I'm trying lay down some paint...ha ha. But I hear, ya.

(Edit, JohnB tells me that bump on the cowling are non-existent on the -5's  and a quick search validates this.)

Edited by Shaka HI

Interesting. i will need to explore that. Not surprisingly i have a backlog of Corsairs i still have yet to do.

FWIW, i was a bit late in learning this, but there were actually 2 versions of Gloss Sea Blue: The WWII-vintage ANA standard, and the Postwar FS-595 version. My understanding is the later version, which i think came out in the early 1950s, was more green and because it survived into later years, formed the basis of a lot of knowledge about the colour. As a result, most model paint manufacturers copied the later, greenish Sea Blue rather than the earlier wartime version.

Its hard to describe but i know Dana Bell did some research into this and the best i can suggest is to look at a lot of wartime Kodachrome colour images and decide for yourself what you think looks best.

One last thing: I still haven't been able to decide if a base coat of yellow zinc chromate really affects the hue of Gloss Sea Blue or not.

-d-

Edited by David Hansen

How frustrating. Primer/silver/clear/yellow chromate/clear/some chipping/clear/color coat/salt technique/chipping/another coat of clear..I know there was modeler on Britmodeler who did this, but looks like Britmodeler is down at the moment so I'm unable to get that particular thread.

Where's the primer that should show up around the chipping you say? I have no clue!

I wonder if I need to let the clear on the primer cure a bit longer (I waited for 4 hours) and/or use chipping fluid?

pinSpxU.jpg