Hobby Boss F-84G

Tony T

I have one each of the F-84E and F-84G kits, not had any time to actually make them but I did invest in the Fisher Wheels and the Eduard interior and exterior detail sets, mostly to correct the airbrake pattern issue,, as well as the Icarus stencils. I think my only slight niggle was that it would have been nice to have the early, unframed canopy for the F-84E and some nicer USAF decal options.

I anyone wants the spare plastic airbrake parts from my kits, feel free to drop me a message and I'll get them shipped asap.

Is there a build article or a review here somewhere?

Chuck

The F-84's may well be the next bit of updating I do, so I'll know for sure then. I do seem to recall seeing a few though. And I just checked, there is no review of either kit here, the E or G.

I have one each of the F-84E and F-84G kits, not had any time to actually make them but I did invest in the Fisher Wheels and the Eduard interior and exterior detail sets, mostly to correct the airbrake pattern issue,, as well as the Icarus stencils. I think my only slight niggle was that it would have been nice to have the early, unframed canopy for the F-84E and some nicer USAF decal options.

I anyone wants the spare plastic airbrake parts from my kits, feel free to drop me a message and I'll get them shipped asap.

PM sent Dave. I can swap the G's "explosive" stores for the E kit's "perforated" airbrake as I'm doing drop tanks only.

Just one question; are the Fisher resin wheels the same diameter as the kit tyres? If the Fisher ones are slightly bigger it might help with belly drop tank ground clearance, which might be too tight otherwise.

I'm expecting the G and Eduard etch around mid week. It's not my area of expertise so I'm not competent to review it Kevin. But as I'm opening all the bags I could attempt some photos to pass on if they might be of use.

Tony

I appreciate your offer, Tony, but photos would be of little use to me unless I had everything photographed well, which can be a very time consuming exercise.

And really, competence on a particular subject is not necessarily a prerequisite, but willingness to do a review is. I'm no authority on anything, but I can still crank out an acceptable review, I think, if I have at least a reasonable interest in the subject matter.

EOS 5DII + 100 Image Stab Macro might do it. It's lighting that's the problem as the last time I used the softbox on x-sync was, err, about five years ago!

The now old 580 EXII is a bit glaring. How I miss 35mm and 645 film photography!

Tony

Bagged it quite inexpensively, but not sure my competence matches the parts provided. However, I may give it a bash

Thanks. I appreciate all the constructive feedback on this, and have learned a great deal.

Tony

EOS 5DII + 100 Image Stab Macro might do it. It's lighting that's the problem as the last time I used the softbox on x-sync was, err, about five years ago!

The now old 580 EXII is a bit glaring. How I miss 35mm and 645 film photography!

Tony

I'm the other way around, Tony. I wouldn't go back to 35mm film on a bet. The days of waiting for film to be developed, only to discover the shots are all over or under exposed, film speed was set wrong, etc., are something that I will never miss. Give me digital any day.

PM sent Dave. I can swap the G's "explosive" stores for the E kit's "perforated" airbrake as I'm doing drop tanks only.

Just one question; are the Fisher resin wheels the same diameter as the kit tyres? If the Fisher ones are slightly bigger it might help with belly drop tank ground clearance, which might be too tight otherwise.

I'm expecting the G and Eduard etch around mid week. It's not my area of expertise so I'm not competent to review it Kevin. But as I'm opening all the bags I could attempt some photos to pass on if they might be of use.

Tony

Hi Tony, pm answered, I'll check the diameter of the Fisher wheels against those in the kit when I get the airbrake parts for you. I think that the underwing tanks were actually quite close to the ground but I'll also check my references to see if I can clarify that a bit. Can't wait to get my hands on the F-84F and RF-84, right, back to job-hunting before catching some zeds :)!

The F-84's may well be the next bit of updating I do, so I'll know for sure then. I do seem to recall seeing a few though. And I just checked, there is no review of either kit here, the E or G.

OK, I decided to go head and tackle the F-84 kit family associations, at least as far as articles are concerned. There are currently seven articles dealing with the E/G kits, perhaps these will be of some help.

HobbyBoss F-84G

Airbrake sent Tony. Also, checked the Fisher wheels against those supplied in the kit; they're the same size. I don't think you'll have any problems with the ground clearance of the underwing tanks. Having checked the Detail and Scale book, the few pictures I found of F-84s on the ground, with the tanks fitted, showed that there was only a few inches between the bottom of the tanks and the ground. Also, the exterior set includes some nice details for the kits wheels but, to be honest, I'd still go for the Fisher ones. I really can't stand rubber/vinyl tyres. Having said that, they seem to look OK on the models I've seen which used them.

• 5 years later...

A forum buddy reminded me of this thread, wherein the speed brake issue is discussed. To be quite honest, I had forgotten all about this particular problem, so was very pleased to be reminded The guy I bought my E kit from, a local pal, might be willing to swap speed brakes with me, as he also had the G kit for sale, so I'll soon be giving him a shout.

7 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

A forum buddy reminded me of this thread, wherein the speed brake issue is discussed. To be quite honest, I had forgotten all about this particular problem, so was very pleased to be reminded The guy I bought my E kit from, a local pal, might be willing to swap speed brakes with me, as he also had the G kit for sale, so I'll soon be giving him a shout.

Did you get that one from me? If so, I already swapped them. I am not sure if I knew about the nose inserts...

42 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Did you get that one from me? If so, I already swapped them. I am not sure if I knew about the nose inserts...

Nope, this is one of two kits that I picked up Saturday at our regional, in addition to the Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000.

I have this kit too, have done a great deal of research, including studying the real thing up close, in preparation for building it as a Danish example, so maybe this could be of help too:

- Early F-84G‘s actually had the slotted airbrake of the E-model (until Block 15, IIRC) and some didn‘t have the auxiliary air intakes either (until Block 20, IIRC). The one I intend to build falls in these categories.

- The elaborate reinforcement on the canopy glazing consists of white glassfibre strips, bonded to the inside and the outside of the canopy glazing. Haven‘t got the kit with me now, but seem to recall that these strips are provided with rivets, which would then need to be filled.

- The MLG tyres look odd, but I‘ve actually seen a photo of an F-84 with such tyres.

- The kit decals have far too few stencils, the real thing is littered with them

Edited by Kenneth