Revell F-15E built as a JASDF Aggressor

dmthamade

Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback!! This is one of the wierdest paint schemes i've ever done, can't think of any that really come close. Still have a lot to do, but at a crawl now as i'm waiting for some stuff from Sprue Bros. I have a different pair of seats coming and a set of landing gear. The mains might be OK but the nose gear is flimsy and is best replaced. I do have the drop tanks done and the ALQ-131 ECM pod, they just need a flat coat and weathering. No pics today, will hopefully have some up in a few days. Would be great to see the Saudi Eagle, Jarda. A wheels up bird would get around the weak landing gear.

Don

OK, finished up a few subassemblies. The ALQ-131 ECM pod came from AMS, i primed it and painted it a shade of olive drab. Decals came from the spares. There is one small blade antenna that i'll add at the end, it wouldn't survive much handling.

IMG_5466_zpsidum3zx9.jpg

Drop tanks and wing pylons are finished, weathered and assembled to each other.

IMG_5468_zpsvjfewmcs.jpg

Also did something i haven't done in the past due to having a canopy break on me. The kit part has a mould line down the center of the windscreen and canopy and is very thick. I used a polishing stick to get all the line off and cleaned up, then used the polish to clean it all up. I got the polish from a headlight polishing kit i bought for my car a while ago, worked great to eliminate the foggy clears.

IMG_5469_zps9lxijlva.jpg

IMG_5470_zps1hlaqvpq.jpg

Still waiting for the gear, have two/three things to paint/weather. Hopefully will be done soon....

Don

The

Nice Don. How are you polishing the canopy without cause spider cracks to develop? That's my biggest fear.

canopy on this kit is pretty thick, I would guess twice as thick as some of the newest thin canopys.. I figured this was a great opportunity to test seam removal and polishing. When I used the polishing stick, it didn't need a lot of pressure. The polish application and polishing I was careful. I'll have to think whether i'll do this again on a new kit, I have great fears of cracking/breaking a canopy.

Don

Well, this build is done. The pit is really a bit of a disaster, the seats had some PE parts on them that really fought me.....and won. In the end they got a coat of black paint and were installed, pretty sad, but i know when to stop. The rest of the build was relatively trouble free, the SAC gear was.... not great. I used the nose gear only, the kit parts had far better detail work, the nose leg was just too weak to support the build. I have to say, comparing this kit to the Tamiya kit, the Revell was a lot easier to build with better fitting main airframe parts, as far as details go, the tamiya is better. Anyway, enough yammering.

IMG_5526_zpsaypldenu.jpg

IMG_5527_zpshnlpftt2.jpg

IMG_5528_zpsj7seyrt1.jpg

IMG_5529_zps7okch8ke.jpg

IMG_5530_zpstktclovx.jpg